Crashes after 10 mintues of gameplay on 1.8.1 (PC)|Being investigated by WH, please scroll to the bottom of the thread

I have the same issue. Freeze and crash after 10 minutes of game play. It’s probably matter of the patches - they break the save games… You cannot do antything - they have to fix it. Currently unplayable. Don’t bother asking support. I wrote to them about the problem, they answered they will investigate, but it’s been almost a month and still no new respond… Let Me know of you will know sth new.

Hey, I play on Xbox one and like you and many others had the same problems with bugs such as enemies not attaching etc… I just had an update on console and loaded up kcd to see if the update is related to the game because a few hours my game at least was broken, I couldn’t attack anyone I hope now at least it is fixed.

Yeah, I did, with two different gmail accounts.

Hi there.
I have the same problem. but, You can load not last save but some before it work normal, for a hour or half.
What quest You start? My problem start “playing with the devil” Or something around.

Hey everyone,
After i finished the game nearly a year ago, i decided to buy the dlc’s and restart a game.
I started a couple of days ago, so i assume it was already version 1.8.1(-247g)
I was able to play for many hours until the first ctd happened yesterday.
The filesize is 5.41mb, 16,5h of gametime. The crash happens sometimes seconds after loading, sometimes a bit later.
mods on or off don’t seem to make a difference, neither do graphical changes.
sent my report to WH and got a reply that they are getting a ton of tickets atm.
Hopefully a fix will arrive soon, after finishing RDR2, I need a recovery addiction :stuck_out_tongue:

It seems pretty clear that the issue is to do with saved files size once it’s gets to 6mb and above crashes start happening. Would it fair to say that even if a new game is started in the new patch the same issue will happen at that file size?

Yeah having a similar issue.
my save is 60.4 hrs and wont load.
ive loaded previous saves (back 6+ hrs) and just waited around once the ingame played time reaches 60.4 instant crash to desktop. battled this all of yesterday.
doesn’t seem related to any quest as i can load saves many quests back and it will always crash after 60.4 hrs.

I’m sorta glad I’m not alone on this so hopefully they have a fix.
This is my 3rd play through and if there is no recovering this save. This game gets shelved

My saved game was started on 1.8.1, so yeah I don’t think it would make a difference.

1 Like

Had it start on one of my playthrough a at around 80 hours…not sure how many hours on the new patch but I would guess around 30.
Started a new playthrough on hardcore because my other playthrough is now unplayable. Now my hardcore playthrough is affected after 20 hours.
Has anyone who has put in a decent number of hours on the new patch not been affected? Am I just really unlucky to have it happen twice?

All roads currently lead to this wall of crashing. we, the players; cannot get around this issue. this is for the devs to fix. they are working on it but it’s going to take awhile. i’d reckoned there’s at least a few people not affected by it. it’s not a “rare” issue; as it’s effecting a large portion of the playerbase.

Patience come: deliverance. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

i think this issue has been around a while but is only now being truly realised. On previous versions of the game there were quite a few people experiencing unbreakble CTDs but not the entire player base. The way to fix it used to be just not play the game for a few days. now it looks like something in this latest patch has exacerbated the issue and the whole community is being affected by it.
i have 6 playthroughs all with 6+ MB of data on the saves and all are crashing after 10-20 mins of loading in.

definitely, when I reached 7 mb the game crashes.

Same here, as soon as I hit 6 mb it started crashing, now I am at almost 7 mb and it’s not playable anymore. Opening a door, waiting, talking to someone, trying to sleep, everything makes the game crash.
Such a shame …

Yep, same problem. Savefile has 7 MB and the constant crashes every 5 minutes started to occur. Until this point, there were no other major issues.

2 Likes

Some one from warhorse team can say anything here? Any news, when possible problem solve?

3 Likes

Cant play a game :sob:

My mad love for this game gets put to the test…

I purchased the game just recently. I started my first serious playthrough attempt with the latest patch (1.8.1) and all available DLC installed.

God, how I fell in love with KCD. I enjoyed the hell out of it. No crashes, no troubles. It was fun all along.

Then, the current timed crash bug stopped my playthrough. Suspecting a corrupted save, I experimented with earlier saves, and I can confirm that it’s some kind of timed crash and not tied to a specific quest, location or activity. No matter what I did, even when I loaded up a save and stood still and did nothing, the game crashed after a specific amount of time.

I love KCD, I really do, and I appreciate what Warhorse did endlessly. And because I respect what these guys achieved so far, I can only hope that they get this issue resolved as soon as possible. And it’s not a “minor” issue, regarding these facts:

a) this is NOT a platform specific problem. The posts in this thread clearly suggest that it’s the exact same bug on PC, PS4 and XBox One.

b) ANY 1.8.1 playthrough in progress and ANY newly started 1.8.1 playthrough is effectively doomed as of now, because as far as we know, the bug cannot be avoided and WILL break our playthroughs once they hit the unholy time mark (which seems to be somewhere around 30 hours for most players).

This means that KCD is pretty much in an unplayable or, at the very least, unfinishable state right now.

c) Until Warhorse figured out the reason for the bug, and a method to fix it, it’s unclear if we’ll have to start all over and flush our current playthroughs down the drain, or if older savegames (which are not bloated towards the 7 MB mark) are “salvageable”.

Well, I just hope there’ll be an official word from Warhorse on the issue soon.

9 Likes

My saves are over 8MB now. The game crashes, and crashes…
2019-02-16_201810

1 Like

Sad as it is, mycroft_cda… don’t waste your time. I know it sucks - I had a KCD weekend planned, I wanted to advance in the main quest after a ton of sidequests and leveling up, but I simply had to stop playing yesterday afternoon when I realized it was no use, and that there was no way around this bug.

Fortunately, I found the forum posts confirming that it was NOT the couple of mods I’m currently using, and NOT my system causing the issues, so I wouldn’t put more hours into vain attempts to continue playing… or starting a new game.

Like I said, judging from all we know right now, any playthrough - in progress or new - is doomed to get screwed to death by this bug.

1 Like

Same issue here, started playing on current version only, submitted a bug via e-mail too. I don’t expect to have any updates during the weekend, don’t think they are a 24/7 shop. Hope they fix it soon though. As most ppl here I really enjoyed this game so far.