From the Ashes DLC feedback

the no bugs part is impossible.

Since weā€™re going down this path, who knows what sick and twisted things Toth did but under duress Stephanie and Radzig acknowledged no misconduct

I did a bit of a study on this, given prices in the time period. Warhorse did a decent job getting the price of things correct in relation to each other. The Groschen, however, is wildly off.

They probably did this to simplify the money system, which could have been confusing to ā€¦ well, a lot of people, as it wasnā€™t base 10 as most modern currencies. A real groschen would have been the equivalent of an English shilling - at least before the silver content was debased around this time period. There were 20 shillings to the pound, and one could get a suit of Milanese plate, which was mass manufactured, for around 8lb 6 shilling - basically 166 shillings (or groschen). You can view some medieval prices here: http://medieval.ucdavis.edu/120D/Money.html

Turns out that game groschen is about the same as a half-penny. So, if you have a million Groschen, from harvesting a ton of armor, thatā€™s 500k pennies, or 41.66k Groschen, or about 2083 English pounds. Quite a massive haul for a summer job. Based on medieval and modern wage standards for unskilled workers, youā€™re looking at a haul of around $25 million. Thatā€™s a bit more realistic figure, considering the value of armor in the period, and Henry basically killed an army by himself. If it really were 1 million Groschen, that would be roughly $12 Billion.

1 Like

This is a bit puzzling to me as well. Divish should not be expecting some peasant boy to fund the rehabilitation and resettlement of his lands by himself. We arenā€™t seeing it at the moment, but I suspect that Divish invests some coin into the project at the start, and you are to simply administer it. After a certain amount of time and decent management, it should be able to start turning a small profit just from those funds alone. Investing your own coin may not be necessary, though it could be quite useful to speed up the process - which might increase your reputation, or stave off the loss of it.

For what itā€™s worth, the position that Henry is getting is something that could turn permanent. The two lowest forms of nobility in this time frame were Edlers and Ritters. Edlers administered areas like Prybislavitz, and the heritable title was often granted as a reward for good stewardship and governance as Amtmanns (a loose translation of bailiff). Becoming a Ritter (Knight) would grant you lordship over a similar area of land, but you would also be obliged to perform military service in addition to your stewardship.

So, yeah - if Henry does a good job in this, he could very well end up owning the land. Perhaps not in this iteration of the game, but down the line you never know.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. One of my fundamental problems with the KCD economy is the absolute lack of supply-demand function. Henry floods the local economy with more units of high end goods than there are people and the price offered is the same. Itā€™s not like male and female commoners sported high end armor with greater frequency than commoners now don Nikes (Reebok/adidas/etc)

1 Like

If the mechanics of ashes are as we guess, itā€™d be nice if WH massaged the economy and circumstances of Henryā€™s contribution/compensation

prolly not. Just another game building money pit for the players to spend on. Tho I do hope it IS done better than FO4

Yeah, very true, though I suspect a realistic economy would have been a tall order on their shoestring budget. Personally I just pretend that they ship everything to Prague for sale when Iā€™m not looking.

A realistic economics would be totally useless and terrible in a game. It would mean there are only so many apples at a specific time and the apples you buy should not be 100% all the time. After all, they are not forever fresh. Now you also have the thing that armor is expensive. No one would buy 20 sets of full plate armor from you after the battle at Pryvis. So you are stuck with 20 sets of armor. Which you can realistically not even carry. A realistic economic would also change with the seasons and such.

one can simulate aspects of a real economy without going overboard. just like one can simulate aspects of real combat without going overboard

Itā€™s funny you pick apples as an example. In the US, most apples sold at supermarkets are from the year prior.

Thereā€™s a difference between 20 sets and 2000. My character has killed about 10 times as many enemies as there were deaths on all sides in the Battle of VĆ­tkov Hill.

A cooloff period for instance is a way to get the effect without breaking the game: you sold 20 sets. Itā€™ll take Sasau vendor a while to clear out the inventory of that specific armor type and be in a position to buy that armor type again. In the meantime, if you have a different armor type that he doesnā€™t have much of, heā€™s able and willing to buy it.

1 Like

My guess is that there will be one specific person out there for each specific jobā€¦ and the guy you want for a particular position will be sleeping all the time, so you can never talk to him, and another guy you need for a specific job will be bugged so that the conversation can never take place.

Yes, now apples are sold from a year prior. Sadly in 1403 there were no refrigerators and coolers. An apple lasts significantly shorter without these modern innovations. You can read it all here https://www.eatbydate.com/fruits/fresh/apples-shelf-life-expiration-date/
Fresh food does not last long. This is equal for meat, which spoils significantly faster.

About the armor. At the moment there already is a system in place. Your buyer starts with little money, and when you sell and buy things from him his available cash goes up. Making a system where the vendors check the armor and see if they want it or not would be complete waste of resources, not to mention it is not at all fun. Also armor is not a homogeen product, it is a heterogeen product because not all armor is equal, or equally made. Some armors are better, sometimes things go better, sometimes things go wrong. This aspect would be more Ā“Ā“basicĀ“Ā“ economic as vendor buys too much.

The vendors do ā€˜pay attentionā€™ to the armor. They pay in proportion to condition (quality). Moreover, thereā€™s a difference between handling a volume 20 vs 2000 units.

A cooloff period to simulate the clearance of inventory doesnā€™t require anything you suggested. Itā€™s pretty simple: sorry Hal weā€™ve got plenty of space for gloves and gauntlets but we donā€™t have anymore shelf space for cuirass. Come by in X days. We should be able to clear out (sell off) some of our inventory by then. No graduate degree in econometrics needed to create such a simulation.

2 Likes

To some degree, this has already been implemented. A few patches ago, you could sell items to a vendor, and a couple days later the vendor would have a lot more coin, based upon how much stuff you sold them last time. This isnā€™t the case anymore, and their inventory basically resets. Itā€™s quite time consuming to sell everything off, even with trips between cities. You can really only offload 10k of goods in a 2 day period between Rattay and Sasau among the major merchants. Your 1 million Groschen would take about 200 game days to get from the merchants. Before, it would have probably only taken 30-40.

Yeah, that tweak is/was half baked. It makes the economy even more perverse (because these vendors with huge inventory have ZERO cash on hand ā€” terrible money mgmt). I can still grind.

In current hardcore, havenā€™t met up with Sir Radzig at Pirskstein to tell him his swords been stolen and yet Iā€™ve paid for a Tier 5 horse, noble 4-bag saddle, noble bridle, repaired about 5 full sets of high end armor (noble, Magdeburg), bought rooms in various inns, have over 6k in Gr, etc

WH has more important things to deal with now. But, someday, I hope they implement a more reasonable mechanic. Incorporating the notion of limited shelf space and setting up an inventory depletion rate would go a long way and would have some basis in reality

Heh, yeah, Iā€™m doing the same thing at the moment. Non-hardcore mode, as I started this save a while back and unwilling to abandon. Poaching was the prime money maker, though taking out camps has been more lucrative recently. Have 150k already, waiting for the DLC to drop. They did say in the E3 interview that it would take 300k or more to build up Prybislavitz, and I doubt I get to that amount by release (this coming Thursday, I guess).

But, yeah, I would love to see a good economic simulation run in the background of this type of game. Not the usual draw for players, though, so I can see why itā€™s not a common feature of the genre.

nevermind. Del this post

not 1/2 way thru and 512,000G and counting! will be set up good for it!

Good haul! Glad KCD put some serious enemy NPCs at battle spawn points early in the game. Itā€™s made fighting the remaining boss NPCs at battle spawn points a good challenge.

Will probably be at ~200k Gr myself. Are you at or past nest of vipers?