Game needs difficulty settings

I think the game is fine how it is. Everything is great besides the bugs. Warhorse needs to worry about the bugs. Not combat, lockpicking, or pickpocketing.

Hahaha you people absolutely BAFFLE me. It’s very very simple guys
 this isn’t a casual after work button basher game like elder scrolls.

This game is not, and never has been, what you want it to be. This style of game is NOT for you. You are not it’s key audience, just like I am not Saturday mornings my little pony audience. The game does not need a god damned difficulty slider for “casual”. It is a fixed experience. STOP PLAYING IT

3 Likes

No. Skyrim it most definitely is NOT. But it should’nt be a Dark Soul ePeen bragfest etiher.

My point is the level of difficulty is inverted.

The game should start reasonably challenging at the end of the tutorial. Then gradually progress to legendary/epic champion level difficulty towards the end. Based on all the feedback comments I’ve seen from players who’ve progressed far into the storyline, it seems Henry achieves god mode level status around level 10 skill? One poster even commented how annoyed they were at the ability to one shot snipe NPCs with their bow.

So it doesn’t appear the AI is being scaled relative to the protagonist’s skill level

Also there is an unrealistic game play element the way the tutorial is setup. We’re consistently told Henry --being the lowly son of a merchant blacksmith–shouldn’t need any specialized combat skills. As this was not expected or allowed by societal constraints of the class and cultural caste system in henry’s day. He could barely swing a sword after sword training. story line indicates his father discouraged henry from taking a martial route when growing up. Insisted on Henry using his charismatic soft skill set to get by in life. So how the blazes is henry’s sudden professional equestrian ability to command a war destrider–let alone any horse in the game–remotely possible? A veteran level riding skill where he successfully evades skilled horsemen archers–without ever falling off his horse? You want realism? Well the devs should’ve coded the game to role a die whenever NPCs fire arrows at the protagonist. That arrow Henry took above the knee should’ve had a 99% chance to unseat him after that cut scene

Yet he retained his composure 100% of the time. Only (in my case no matter how fast he rides directly on the road) to bleed out consistently before reaching his destination–without ever falling off his horse. lol.

The game appears to be suggestively setting up the protagonist to go one way in life after the tutorial–then hitting them with a sledgehammer (a brilliant twist) by going the martial route. Game progression is restricted to inventory token/bed saves by default. And if categorizing the level of difficulty is considered “wimpy” by the hardcore DID/Dark Soul over achievers on this forum, then WTH aren’t there OTHER channels for for escaping the town? Is’nt that the whole flipping point of sandbox realism is? That this is what is supposed to set this rpg apart from the industry is about?

WTH can’t Henry–lowly son of a blackmith who’s NEVER had a single riding lesson in the tutorial let alone his entire life–get the option to flee the town on FOOT? Much the way the NPCs he encounters while riding on the road. Quite a few were running off road into the woods. If you want more realism, add that sandbox game dynamic. Let henry have to survive using stealth (vs the forced melee/combat skill dynamic) to the destination point. Give him random world event opportunities like stumbling across a deserted camp. Where – SINCE PC GAMERS CAN’T SAVE THE F@CKING GAME WHENEVER THEY WANT – he can actually USE those blasted healing potions in his inventory. This wouldn’t even be necessary if the game would LET YOU USE THE SCHANPPS, FOOD OR ANY HEALING POTIONS IN YOUR INVENTORY DURING THE ESCAPE SEQUENCE.

Without sandbox options like that, the game becomes a luck based grind fest. Or painfully predictable for those who’ve mastered the ability to predict the combat tactic AI of NPCs during combat.

I’ve come to suspect that if you opted for the stealth v warrior build at the start of game (using the charisma over strength speech checks with Henry’s mother) Henry’s survival ability at the tutorial end is pretty much FUBAR. i.e Despite the ability to develop criminal/stealth skills, the game was hard coded to lock the protag into a specific warrior/combat skill set. Which apparently is the desired build needed to survive those sweeping endgame battle campaigns.

Someone did suggest going the villanous route by thieving and murdering early in game. Appears they leveled up Henry’s skill very efficiently doing that by the tutorial end. Something to try I guess. But not the route I wanted to take this early in the game. Lack sandbox variety makes the linearity of the storytelling feel overly forced.

The game should progressively get more challenging over time. Not the other way around–after it exponentially spikes in difficulty at the tutorial end.

I wholeheartedly agree. The game should get more challenging as we go on. The training should allow Henry to be more comfortable swinging a sword
 it should not make him the destroyer of worlds. You’re going against mercenaries who have spent more time training and killing. The game should play as such.

1 Like

I find it entertainingly ironic how for an era of classes, nobility, guilds, peasants and religious persecution people are expecting a more open world.

The game designers’ intent is pretty clear when you look at the attention they put into Swords and Armour.

• There are no Perks for Bow, just a silly potion to steady your aim like Prozac for golfers.
  • Animals are so docile that poaching is a question of did you bring enough arrows, not will you have to chase deer and hares for miles (note to devs: watch a greyhound race and figure out the origin)
  • Polearms are barely present (Henry The Halberdier not really an option)
  • Maces and Axes seem like afterthoughts and shield play is just the basics
  • They spent a ton of time researching heavier armour types knowing that most players will want a full suit asap.

It’s really funny how day 1: “Archery is too hard” and now “It’s too easy to snipe people with my awesome skills.”

I also don’t think it matters that you can’t do some radical roleplay where Henry actually becomes Runt (though you can betray, lie, cheat, steal, murder and whore your way around as long as you do the basics of what your liege lord asks).

Bottom line: the game is the very beginning of a long franchise of realism-based medieval gaming. In the next 5 years we will see so many patches and mods it’s exciting to think about it.

Until then, it’s a game that requires an investment of time and an appreciation of what makes it different. If you don’t like how it is, just wait for the mods and follow up releases. And be civil.

4 Likes

You do know that blacksmiths spend most of their time making horseshoes, right? Where is it written that Henry doesn’t know how to ride a horse? My great-uncles were blacksmiths who made horseshoes and learned how to ride everything from carthorses to steeplechasers from as soon as they could sit up straight.

With adrenaline maxed out, it’s perfectly plausible Henry would have barely felt the arrow in the thigh, especially as it missed the bone. What’s silly is that the cut-scenes show him limping but I haven’t seen a single NPC limp when shot in the leg with 1, 2 or even 3 arrows.

The game is fun for the first 10-15 hrs depending on how many side quests you do, so for $4 an hour it’s worth buying. However, the sheer stupidity of the AI makes it a yawner from level 10 onwards. There seems to be a massive issue with the AI being able to detect me when I’m shooting arrows at them from maximum draw distance.

The devs should take a look at Assassin’s Creed: Origins (can’t believe I just wrote that) to see how NPCs react when arrows whiz past their heads.

One thing an RPG should do is induce fear. Henry should be scared shitless for most of the early to mid game. But I never feel hunted, I never feel that I’d better bring some bandages and have to run away from smart enemies bent on destroying me. I would have much preferred a shorter campaign in a smaller world with a focus on inducing fear and demonstrating the immense challenges that peasants faced when fighting an elite armoured warrior class. I was able to defeat the German Knight with a single strike, a parry/riposte to the face. He wore a Nuremberg Cuirass but a Common Bascinet with no visor? C’mon.

1 Like

p.s. I’m aware he starts out with horesemanship at zero - that’s obviously a game design choice but IRL he would have been around horses and riding them since an early age. If we want to get into the contradictions in the game, we’d need quite a long dedicated thread. For example, you can choose dancing during his conversation with is mother which gives an agility point but on his “date” later on, he can’t dance, and we know he drinks a lot with his mates but that’s also at zero. He would also be quite strong (for a teenager) from swinging a hammer for many years, certainly stronger than the average mature man, and his Maintenance skill would be at least a 3 or 4 from repairing and sharpening farming tools. Anyway, it is what it is - we have to allow for some poetic license.

I’ve been following this girl. She is a ridiculously bad player, but still she gets by just fine. I think the problem may be between your chair and screen, not in the game.

1 Like

I have tried lock picking / pick pocketing using Xbox 1.1 version. During lock picking I broken all lock picks after several seconds. It is very hard to synchronize both thumbsticks together. When I tried pic pocketing course at mill, I was holding “A” button, but yellow ring became colored to one quarter and then pesek told me that I have been caught.

I’m using a keyboard and mouse so it might not be that relevant, but in the beginning of the game you suck at pretty much everything. You can train the lockpicking skill at the Rattay mill and also by breaking into houses and picking the easiest locks (among other ways) until you level up. It takes quite a lot of lockpicking until you are able to open hard locks, let alone the hardest ones.
As for pickpocketing, you have to hold the button as long as you can without getting caught (release it before you are caught, it’s pretty hard because as far as I can tell, the green/red color of the circle doesn’t matter at all, you can still be caught when it’s green) - best to practice this (level up) on sleeping or drunk people.

Ladies and gentlemen, they have already announced multiple times that lockpicking will be changed next patch (1-2 weeks). Focus on other things as they are already 110% aware that it is an issue. Personally I find lockpicking to be way too easy. I have tried it in real life and it takes real skill and patience. In game it’s actually hilariously easy (maybe not on consoles, I get that). Try turning down your mouse sensitivity (or maybe up) if you struggle to keep it in the right place. I keep mine on 800DPI for this game.

2 Likes

I have got an information, that lockpicking is working as expected on consoles, but is more easy on PC. So I hope they will adjust difficulty on consoles to be comparable to PC.

Fine control will always be easier on PC, as a mouse and keyboard is simply a more reliable, precise and accurate control system than a gamepad for first person games. The issue with lockpicking on consoles is that you have to use an analogue stick to control the movement, it’s a bit like trying to drive a motorbike at speed while wearing boxing gloves. Add to that the vibration (pro tip - turn it off), and you are left with an abysmal control system compared to mouse and keyboard. They need a completely different system for lockpicking on consoles. For PCs it really is fine as it is, just some people think that everything in the game should be possible by level 5

You really are showing how incompetent you are here

For a start you are not supposed to fight the cumans trying to rape theresa in the prologue
 the game clearly tells you to “whistle for your horse to cause a distraction” Can you not even follow basic instructions??

Secondly, you were obviously not galloping with your horse when trying to flee to Talmberg. This is like the easiest part of the game
 if you struggled with this then you will really struggle later on.

Been around horses as a blacksmith’s son and apprentice yes.

Riding them from an early age? Not likely.

The 3 tier caste system (i.e. Nobility, Clergy & Peasantry) was that rigid around 13th cen medieval Europe in Henry’s time. Henry’s father and his fellow craftsmen were the founding fathers of european medieval guilds. Guilds really didn’t become a medieval institution across Europe until around 14th cen forward. And yes, it’s true Yeomen existed around the time guilds were being formed in medieval Europe. So Henry’s father is the closest thing to this rare middle class, medieval outlier denizen as you can get. But for all practical purposes of that age, 99.999% of medieval Europe belonged to one of those 3 classes. The RPG storyline does a great job of introducing this by suggesting Henry’s father is much more than a humble smith. Because the game clearly implies his father had a martial past (As a merc? A soldier? Even a Knight?) from that final conversation with Sir Radzig at the forge. Which would explain the reason why Henry’s father was so insistent that his son seek his lively hood as humble craftsman v. the way of the warrior. If the game story is to be believed, then Henry’s father would’ve likely discouraged him from riding the way he did with sword training.

To make the apprentice smith riding horses backstory more believable, the devs should’ve added a side quest where Henry’s dad shows him how to shoe a horse. Then RIDE the horse to the customer somewhere in the town. But they didn’t opt to do that. Besides–unlike modern day mechanics who test drive their repair job–there was really no need for a smith to test drive his work shoeing a horse. :smile: Besides a bad fall could lead to the end of a smith’s trade. So tbh riding horses in that capacity was the job of another peasant caste servant aka the stable hand.

Yes, it was possible for vertical mobility from the peasantry into the other 2 classes. But this was extremely rare unless 1) a peasant joined/was educated by the clergy or 2) through the martial auspices of the Fog of War, became one of fortune’s favorites and received a meteoric ascent into the nobility.

This is where I start having issues with the game’s sandbox ability which starts at the end of the tutorial. The game’s linear storytelling mechanic is very biased towards the latter case. The tutorial holds your hand as it gently reassures you our adventurous (and increasingly despairing) Henry will carry on the boring legacy of his father’s craft. The only inkling we get of henry’s higher aspirations is from his extremely brief sword fighting tutorial. There wasn’t even a Skyrim-esque practice dummy (HELL A QUINTAIN INSIDE SIR RADZIG’S CASTLE COURTYARD) for him to use FFS. Devs missed opportunity to kill 2 birds at once here: Let Henry do his first ride delivering a newly shoed horse to Sir Radzig. Gets the opportunity to joust with a quintain to improve combat sword/riding skills while at castle. But no
all we get to experience is a portcullis being slammed shut as Henry is denied access to the castle.

Given Henry’s miraculous affinity for all things equestrian at the end of the tutorial: WTH wasn’t there a side quest/Mafia 2 length cut scene where Hal and/or his boys go on an adventure to steal deutche’s horse? Just so they could piss him off and get even with his bad mouthing their feckless king W? Perhaps even extend such a side quest a bit where Henry is influenced by one of his more degenerate mates on a dare: Steal Deutche’s horse, ride it to an NPC at Theresa’s at the mill, then successfully sell/convince that NPC to move the hot property. THAT sort of story development would’ve made for 100% realism when Henry’s fled the castle. Because such a side quest would’ve:

1. Given Henry the opportunity to level up to at least rank 1 in his horsemanship skill. The longer Hal–aka YOU --take familiarizing yourself with the riding controls of your console/keyboard, the more henry’s riding skill improves.

2. Introduce the player to the game element of stealing and trading on the black market. So further develop Henry’s character by giving him an alternative possible character flaw – which counters the shining hero in white plate armor that the game constant rams down your throat. Call me paranoid. But: almost every single speech option Henry gets (especially when replying to NPCs about shady transactions) always seem to have a heroic response. Take his conversation with Theresa’s uncle the miller in Rattay. This is where the player is introduced to the joys of thieving when henry gets his side quest to go tomb raiding to pay his welfare bill. Henry’s response was (to paraphrase) “Oh HELL NO! I’ll do your dirty work alright—but i’m not THAT guy!” Really Hal? But the devs are to blame for this infuriating bi-polar character compartmentalizing I suppose. It’s instances like that where hard core realism irreversibly goes to shit. >,< No amount of creative attempt to fill character background plot holes on player’s end can remedy this sort of skill omission/inconsistency.

3. Giving Henry (and you) the opportunity to practice the nuances of social graces aka the charisma skill speech minigame. And how this relates to the overall strategic game play. Teach the player/Henry that during those times where the pen fails to be mightier than the sword, having a Silver Tongue (aka the Gift of Gab) can prove to be the far superior tactic. It would better prepare the player for the future trading and social transactions Henry must make to progress in the game.

But never mind those inconsistencies in realism for this hardcore RPG. The game gives you no time to ponder this. It’s too preoccupied sledge hammering poor Hal’s head with that Dirac Delta spike in difficulty at the tutorial’s end. Our poor boy Hal gets a boorish shove off the cliff. Where he’s left to plummet with wildly failing limbs towards a martial career in hell (for which he was grossly ill equipped to face throughout the entire tutorial).
YES. Doing this was a brilliant plot twist. But Henry’s sudden natural affinity taking to horse the way a duck takes to water? With zero background history that a tutorial should’ve provided is pure Bull$. /end of rant>

Thanks for the detailed answer. First off: it’s the 15th Century not the 13th. :slight_smile:

My Great-Uncles Mick & Jim took every opportunity they could to ride horses, especially when younger, and often they did it to check a horse’s gait before giving the horse back to the owner, a sort of test drive if you will. How would you know how to properly shoe a horse if you don’t check its gait? Especially if the horse had thrown a shoe and cracked or damaged the sensitive interior of the hoof.

It’s not like Henry listened to his father anyway, so whether he discouraged him from riding has very little bearing.

Yes the side quest sounds cool and would create backstory, but it’s not like he’s a miller’s son so being a blacksmith is plausible that he would at least have the chance if not the requirement to ride from an early age.

1. Why do people complain about not being able to kill soldiers when their village is raided?? Are you idiots? You are supposed to run! Wonna help the girl? I smashed one of the bastards from behind, they turned to me, the girl ran to the house. Shoule I fight 3 soldiers at once at this lvl? I am not an idiot! The girl is already safe, I ran out of these bastards to the horse. And you suggest fighting them
 what??

2. Check reddit. People complain here the fighting is difficult, the archery is difficult, while people on reddit already wrote guides on both and complain that it’s TOO EASY at high lvl. If you take some efforts, you will be a human tank killing hordes. That’s a real problem. So, just take you time. Or do you wan’t to be a tank from lvl 1?

1 Like

yes I say yes to this the game is to easy for me and many other people while its hard for others it definitely needs difficulty setting

This is another polarizing topic, some people have been saying the game is too easy - especially combat. That they can man handle 27 people at a time. Some are saying it’s too difficult. Honestly a lot of reliance on this game will come from the modding community. I think Warhorse is too small a studio to handle anything that isn’s polish, small bugs, and a few scaling fixes from here to there. Because the topic is so polarizing I don’t see warhorse touching it anytime soon. Best hope on the modding community!

1 Like

Seeing as the hardcore fans all want it to be harder, and all the console kiddos want it to hold their hand and tell them how good they are at games and life, the only reasonable compromise is to look to mods to make the game easier or harder.