Have you guys seen the map size?!

Everything looked stunning, absolutely everything. Then I see the map size…Are you joking?! The map is absolutely tiny. Developers, YOU ARE ON A NEXT-GEN CONSOLE. This map size is absolutely a game killer. It is a next gen,“open-world”,“Sandbox” RPG. I put quotes because it cant be open world if I can travel the whole map in less than 1 hour. Come on guys this is an absolute joke. Old gen games had bigger maps, step you game the hell up Warhorse.

1 Like

To be fair “Next gen console” is 2008 standards for a PC.

17 Likes

Firstly it depends on whats in the map, whats the point in a huge map with the same amount of content as a smaller map? Skyrim map was not that big and could be traveled by foot very easily.
Also was it just from Act 1 or the entire game? Perhaps it was for the beta testers? I think full details of the map will be needed before judgement is made

Also, and more importantly, this is not Bethesda, Ubisoft or EA, they might not have the resources to make a huge map and as long as the gameplay is great I personally dont mind a slightly small map.

14 Likes

On there blog they talk in detail regarding their thoughts on the map size. They are trying to find a balance where the map is big enough to explore, but not totally empty and pointless. I was surprised at the size though. But bigger does not always mean better.

12 Likes

3x3 km isn’t that small. I compared it to DayZ (that’s what I’m playing atm, and it’s all walking in the standalone), and it’s still a pretty good size. I’d also much rather have a well-crafted smaller map than a huge, empty one like Fuel. Plus there will be villages and such so it will feel bigger when you’re in a city. It all depends how the gameplay and story work with it.

7 Likes

Please don’t.

Stick with your map size and make it meaningfull and true to life. Size doesn’t matter as long as it is filled with characters and stories and handcrafted.

One thing I would wish for is this: make the map empty in places. Nothing makes a game more boring than a treasure chest in every hole and a corpse behind every stone. That makes it so common to find something that there is no surprise at all in finding something.

6 Likes

I find it hilarious when people go off blurting “next-gen consoles”, since (as Ser_Awesome already mentioned) these consoles have bad specs compared to gaming computers. This is a personal opinion, so let me get to the constructive part:

Size does NOT matter. It’s the content that is important, and Warhorse Studios showed in their Update video that they are planning to fill their map as much as possible to enhance the gameplay part of the game. As already mentioned, large maps are a major pain in the back if they are solely there to add walking distance.

End of rant, thanks for your attention

9 Likes

Let developers show you, what they are capable of, and then we will see. They have a lot of experience with open world and they know the best :wink:

2 Likes

C’mon! Wait for the game and then complain.
Anyway the map size is not the main thing in this game.

2 Likes

Smaller map full of content is far of better then big map full of empty places. 9 Km2 is area of 9x9Km. That is not so small.

1 Like

Where did you get that 9km2 is 9×9? When I was in school, they said it’s 3×3 :slight_smile:

@RIZZIFE Hello, so you are saying 9 km2 are so small map size? I have an advice for you. Go out and walk 3 km only by a foot. After that, turn right and get another 3 km. After some time, turn right and walk another 3 km, and then turn right and walk last 3 km to your home. So? That’s the border of the map. By the way, it will took you about 4 hours to walk near the map borders. And you followed only borders. Not center or other parts of map :wink: Still small?

7 Likes

Sori my mistake i want write 3x3. :smile:

1 Like

I definitely agree :slight_smile: Map will be big enough, they know what they are doing :wink:

Normal people walking about 6km/h. Just 2 hours to perimeter. But in game will be a horses.
Need a lot of content. We must recall Gothic 1 - which was larger.

3 Likes

It is worth noting that the proposed map size is large than the map in Red Dead Redemption and that game felt truly vast!

1 Like

As people say, Map size isn’t everything. Something set in the middle ages does not need to be big, we are not flying around it. Also it allows them to focus on content and by the looks of the detailed engine, a massive map would detract from the detail. Just look at Daggerfall, even though that map is huge, its all randomly generated.

1 Like

You do know they’re planning to add more to the map eventually, right? For Act I, you have the 3km x 3km map, but as you progress in acts, it will open up more areas. Besides, like @Jim said, it’s going to have a lot going on in that area.

2 Likes

Absolutely truth, empty places in game world are very important, especialy in the game with horseriding. In games like Skyrim it’s big pleasure to just look around well-created forests, fjords, etc, while travelling in the wast world, and not killing dragons.

2 Likes

Come on … it’ll take you more than hour to just make a run around the map, it’ll take you much more than that to map whole area, find all secrets and easter eggs. Good enough I say! Right now I’m playing Kingdoms of Amalur and the world is so huge and empty and boring I’m getting agoraphobic :wink:

Map seems fine… large empty maps are boring and so 2011

1 Like