How to make KCD actually feel more realistic

I don’t think it should be nerfed a huge amount, but I do think it should get some kind of nerf, and I think people in plate armor can do acrobatics, I did a quick youtube search and I have watched a video from Shadiversity, they could do acrobatics I believe, but I don’t remeber if I’m correct on it so I could be wrong about it.

1 Like

What is funny is when my horse is overweighed by the load. Ok, so I put stuff instead of horse saddlebags to my inventory, then I (and all my stuff) jump on horse’s back and ride happily away :wink: This needs some rethinking… I could use the horse just as cargo transporter (without me) or as usual but with weight limited to me+weight of my inventory.

1 Like

Hello, armorer here. You’re not wrong. Well-fit armor should not slow you down or hamper your ability to run, jump, or fight…as long as you have built up the stamina necessary to do these things. Yes, armor is heavy, but the weight is distributed evenly across your body, so it does not weigh on you like an equal weight in a backpack.

Someone who is not wearing armor will be more nimble, of course, just because they don’t have to fight the additional inertia of the armor. But you are by no means clumsy or clomping. That’s Hollywood nonsense.

There are historical records of knights training in all kinds of ways to get used to moving in their armor. One knight in particular was well-known for putting a ladder against a wall, hanging underneath it, then climbing up the underside of the ladder using only his arms.

2 Likes

You know, we are talking about Middle Ages, where people was dirty, with bad higyenic habits. We could see uhh… like Cyrticercosis (parasite-like disease, cysticercosis, which some doctors and historians attribute to the delusions and visions of Joan of Arc) causin mental illness on people, making them crazy.

Comfort levels and heavy loads(not just Overburdened) giving you grief.
Like, you can’t expect to get a decent nights sleep in a full suit of plate(reduces bed comfort) and tromping and stomping around with 100lbs. of gear on AND 100lbs. of misc. stuff on your person should tire you out quicker(more loss of Nourishment/Energy with the effects really noticeable when you’re closer to maximum weight).

Also I second the whole “people shouldn’t know something is stolen right off the bat” but it should depend on the item. Nondescript stuff like food, or pelts shouldn’t really be identifiable as stolen unless someone spotted you stealing them. Now stuff like swords and armor, yeah because those would have a makers mark on them for identification purposes.

2 Likes

Very interesting thread with great ideas, I hope the developers and community managers take a look on good feedback like this.

Some feature requests, linked from two comments I posted, related to spawns and NPC AI behaviour, on a persistent RPG world.
… from “list mods that you want made” … post #272
and from “About spawns, random encounters, events and locations” thread

All feature requests could be implemented directly by WarhorseStudios or by modders with proper documentation and tools, that is why I posted some ideas on Modding subforum.

For sneak mechanics:

• If you have spare armor or weapons in inventory, like after stealing 30 suits from a shop, the visibility/conspic/noise gets added to Henry’s stats. Minimized somewhat by stealth, but a couple breastplates and a handful of swords generally means you’ll be clanking around with a giant swollen pack.
  • Horse inventory shouldn’t be available from interior “private” or “trespassing” areas. Preferably only outside structures, and within a certain range of the horse.
  • NPC’s should only miss valuables from containers once they check the container that it’s in.
  • For pickpocketed items, they should notice they’re missing after a randomized window within a couple hours (if awake).
  • NPC’s should go to the local bailiff or nearest guard if no bailiff is available, and report a crime.
  • Guards should keep tabs on who was around (who they saw) during the suspect period, and question those people - not just immediately jump to searching Henry. Should keep track of only top 5 or 6 most conspicuous people.
  • Overall suspicion level should increase if Henry is caught too often, or present at too many crime scenes.
  • High levels of suspicion may lead to guards ending up at the mill or whatever inn you are staying at for a search.
  • High levels of suspicion may open more quests from seedier folk.
  • As others have said, food items and other generic items shouldn’t immediately be flagged as “stolen”. No guard is going to know the fine details of who purchased what cabbage that day, and that it was magically taken from their house.
4 Likes

Small but eqsy one to implement…

Auto remove the HUD when it isnt needed. (And menu toggles for crosshair/compass)…

The game can be a photorealistic walking simulator. Shame the vivid red and bright yellow interface ‘get in the way’

3 Likes

I think the one thing that could truly improve the immersive feel is a FREE-LOOK CAMERA mode. Maybe on Toggle Alt key. it absolutely drives me crazy to not be able to look left or right while maintaining direction of movement. In real life i don’t turn my whole body and have to walk side ways if i want to glance to my left or right, so to me, if there’s anything that would improve the feel, i would start with the ability to look around and enjoy the beautiful world WH has created.
-TY WH! Absolutely love KCD!

2 Likes

but you can! on horse back…

1 Like

The free-look idea is a good one. You should be able to follow a path like a horse by just holding a button or direction and look around as you’re moving forwards. I’ve seen it implemented in other games, it works well.

As for the plate armour stuff, I think it needs to be changed quite a bit. It should be really noisey, and you should move more slowly and get tired more quickly. I was the one that posted the YouTube video above of the guys doing some pretty impressive stuff in plate armour, but it wasn’t that impressive. I mean, it was impressive that they could stand up and jump a little in the air. And that was without the chainmail underneath it (which weighs a tonne). A fully kitted out heavy armour (plate, chainmail, etc.) should be par tougher and offer far more protection but at the cost of more restricted movement and stamina.

Also, the armour shouldn’t get worn out so quickly! I was watching a documentary on medieval weapons and armour on YouTube, and they said they found one suite of chainmail that had been worn in battle for 700 years! (albiet with some repairs).

I would say more bickering/debating among nobles and having them put their own interests first before others. More rivalry too.

Lots of great ideas above! One that I would love to see is the ability to dismount and lead your horse around by the bridle. That way you can talk to people and have your horse right there with you. You wouldn’t leave your horse in a non-secure environment for very long without it being stolen.

1 Like

This game needs a mod in which if you die, you can never play the game again. Ultra-realism.

For your consideration:

2 Likes
  • Money is too easy to get and the most expensive items are not expensive enough. If you clean a bandit camp and sell the loot, you get enough money to buy the best sword or a nice horse. The best stuff should be ridiculously expensive (i mean something like 20k), making us actually work to deserve it.

• Merchants harder to deal with. Discussing prices only works in our favour. It should be more unpredictable.

• After a few hours, the game turns too easy. It would be great to have more dangers outside cities, especially at night. More bandits, wild animals, etc…

• The ability to interact with more objects in the world.

• Why can’t we get robbed? It would be cool to have to lock the door of the places where we sleep, or even own our room or home. A bad lock (or no lock at all) should increase the probability of being robbed and lose some stuff.

Great thread, TC.

2 Likes

He talks about his hunger so the player will notice if for some reason they havn’t yet…also if you’re Henry is saying “I’m hungry” enough to bother you you’re doing it wrong…there are pots EVERYWHERE and there is no penalty from eating from them…I never recall hearing my Henry say that my entire first playthrough minus the few times you get hungry due to the quest (i.e. the beginning escape and in the monastery etc)…Hunger really isnt hard to manage

1. Weekly markets/festival in bigger places like rattay with new quests that are time sensitive to the market. I’m halfway through the game and things get a little boring in cities. Things are too predictable. Make the cities change and be engaging instead of just a walk-through place to complete quests.

2. More animals. I know bears are on the list, so allow Henry to make a bear skin rug or mount antlers to put in his room.

3. Ability to own a home. Allow rooms of your home to be rented nightly. Also allow things to be stolen from your home like suggested before.

4. Make it harder to get rich. Henry shouldn’t be able to buy expensive items by hunting a few deer.

5. Have the miller tell you that you either pay rent, run his errands or get your own place to live after a period of time in the game. Henry is a moocher.

6. Make rivers, streams rise when it rains for a long period of time

7. Remove the ability to eat from every kettle in the game. If I find a random fire in the middle of the woods with nobody around there shouldn’t be a full pot of food to eat.

8. Haggling should be more in depth. Sometimes have a trader say, “Make me an offer” instead of having a set price. This would make it where you would have to know an items value. Also the trader could get irritated if you offered too low.

9. Give the ability to mark an outfit as an outfit instead of individual pieces.

5 Likes

where’s this “festival” I’ve heard of that is supposed to liven up the crowd? Perhaps Sigusmands forces put a dampener on everyone’s mood…

1 Like

That’s coming in 1.4 :wink: