I seriously can't kill anything in this game

Game discussions, yes I would agree. For simple “how to” questions, it would be quicker to find the answer than to make a thread.

It is hard in the beginning. I tested fighting guards and died horribly. Now when i am of a higher level with better gears, i literally killed every guards in rattay. wayfarer knight died in 1 min and i’m level 14. You need to train with Bernard to learn riposte and feint and get to level 5 to be good. Timing for Perfect Block is easy as hell, as soon as you see the windup, hit block.
Don’t forget this game tries to put you in a real world where a beginner will need to train harder to be a better swordsman.

you want someone to hold your hand? WRONG GAME…

2 Likes

I have a hard time killing anybody in this game as well, i killed the bandits on my way to Skalitz to bury my parents and i managed to win the hunting bow from Hans Capon, but in the mission Ginger in a pickle where i have to kill the bandits, i don’t have a chance, the same in the mission Prey, in the end i had to sneak in and free Capon, i died so many times when i tried to fight the bandits, maybe main mission isn’t the way to go so early in the game? I had only the armor we got from doing the patrol mission and i had only a Burgher’s sword, this is one of 3 reasons why i stopped playing this game and deleted it.

Absolutely true!

It’s weird, I was complete Shite when it came to combat. I decided to start a new playthrough and paid attention the second time when i started training with Sir Bernard, and I’m having an easier time with it. You just have to spar with him a few times to get the feel for it.
Archery was pretty much tyre same for me. After my little contest with Hans, I stayed back and got a feel for my bow at the range. I’m not a master, but I can bag some serious game now.
This isn’t really a casual game. Like skyrim, you get better at combat skills the more you use them. Unlike skyrim, you don’t start off combat ready.
Don’t try to rush through the game. Live the life of Henry. If you suck at combat, have Henry focus on getting better at it. If you suck at archery, go out and try shooting some game. Get better by having Henry get better.

1 Like

but the crybabies just want a one button smasher and be a hero from day one…

If only more people would pay attention to the game…

1 Like

“coming from Skyrim, the combat is horrible”, I have never laughed so much in my life, sorry but that is just amazing

5 Likes

The combat is easy as fuck in this game, maybe I just grasped it quickly, but I felt the game was way too easy sometimes, I one shot Runt with a stab in the head, I reloaded because I thought maybe it glitched or something, but nope, I broke his guard and lunged a slash down onto his head, boom dead, and thats pretty early on.

1 Like

The only issue I have with the combat is that it gets too easy. But to say Skyrim’s combat is better? And to say that the combat needs to be 10x easier? LMFAO! But that’s the mentality of many gamers nowadays, I guess. It’s the reason why the quality of the Dragon Age series turned to complete shit in order to appease these kind of gamers.

And don’t get me wrong. I consider myself a casual gamer also. I have a career, and I have a wife and kids. But casual does not mean not wanting a challenge.

3 Likes

Please stop making troll posts, Coming from Skyrim the combat is is terrible? I just don’t understand how people are lazy to learn something and they want everything handled to them on a silver platter, Only in America we are having this issue. Cry cry cry, too hard. Use your brain and you will be able to have no problems. Did you not take the training combat course?? tsk tsk tsk…they clearly said…pay attention to enemy movement and how they are holding their sword…

1 Like

Agreed, this game was way too easy, sometimes you got the odd bandit who could riposte all your strikes and that led to you being stun locked by the rest of his friends because you have no stamina, thats the only times I really died, I could take out whole bandit camps by myself early on. Also cuman camps.

Yeah that’s hillarious. Skyrim is infamous for having the worst combat of any AAA game in years haha.

:thinking:

@skegs Combat was frustrating for me at the start as well. Part of it is some patchwork the developers are working on so that the thrust and strike button inputs are smoother, i’ve had to spam thrust sometimes clicking like mad just to get it to go through after a strike. The biggest help for me early was managing my stamina bar. A lot of people have already called for some changes as currently it does function essentially as a second health bar/ think recharging shield. You won’t really take damage as long as you have high stamina to absorb blows instead of your red health bar. Keeping stamina high is really important to win fights. You need it to attack multiple times in a row (essential for more difficult opponents in order to get a hit in) and you need it to avoid taking damage. Paying attention to how you’re using stamina is what made the most difference to me early game. running in when I have lots of stamina trying a few strikes from different angles and mixing in some stabs and then just backing up or circling around until my stamina comes back up again. Yes, training with Captain Bernard will give you experience to improve your stats and he’ll teach you how to riposte, perfect block, and do combo moves, but if you’re having difficulty right at the start stamina use is what I’d focus on. Also, like what some people have mentioned above it will help to match weapon type with your opponent. If you’re having trouble with armored foes in chainmail or plate start practicing using a mace or axe weapon. If bandits are your nemesis most of them just have leather or cloth armor and you’ll want to use swords. Weapons do have stat requirements in agility and strength to be used at their full potential and you will be penalized for using a weapon that exceeds your current level. That could also be what is making your combat experience so difficult, your opponents could have a much easier time attacking you. My last suggestion would be just watching and waiting for them to attack, usually if you see them start an animation for a high strike you can hurry and go for a stab and get it off before they can hit you. It takes patience and practice but eventually you’ll be a combat legend. Cheers and good luck

1 Like

ditto. I’m completely with you on this being near impossible. Everyone saying about practice and the whole 'well the son of a blacksmith…" argument doesn’t equate to the complete lack of direction and stupid missions like Baptism of Fire that doesn’t even give you a chance. The game gives you the impression you need to keep on top of quests and that you can’t leave things for too long, so how the hell do you have time to go side questing for day upon day.
I don’t see the problem in that gamers perform at different levels, that is why difficulty levels have been a staple for a long time now

Use a bow on a horse, you can kill anything Just don’t shoot your horse in the Head!

1 Like

After you level enough you will have the exact opposite problem. Everyone will die in 1 hit.

I made the same mistake rushing to that quest very early on and found it quite difficult because I was ill prepared. I was getting rinsed by runt and had to use the “shoot him in the face” tactic. But honestly make sure you have solid equipment and good stats as well as the riposte ability and it becomes 10x easier.