Is this game better than Oblivion

this blows oblivion out of the water

1 Like

I am a big fan of Bethesda games. Started with daggerfall - my first open world experience. I will buy the next one as soon as it comes out. I love Skyrim to death but I must admit to well over 100 mods installed.

I am on play through #4 of KCD. I am a history buff and a lover of RP. I absolutely love this game.

Which is better? Donā€™t know & donā€™t care. I really play very few games but when I fall for one I stick with it. Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, KCD ā€¦ all are games that I have played over and over.

P.S. KCD is a throwback to Darklands (yes, Iā€™m old) ā€¦ another great game.

4 Likes

Thats ancient , I feel the same way when I bring up ā€œDark Stoneā€ on PSone , thats the game that got me into fantasy games lol

I feel like if Oblivion was made today it would be much better as it would be different because of the new technology. More quests, better graphics, better combat (but then again look at skyrim).

I have only played new games because I started with gaming pretty late in my life. So having at least decent graphics is a norm for me. Still though even GTA 4 is pretty playable today.

For itā€™s years oblvion was a good game. Right now it is not. Maybe for nostalgia. But not objectively.

1 Like

Oblivion is fantasy. KCD isnā€™t. if i want dragons and/or other fantastical beasts, iā€™ll take TES in a heartbeat. if i want more realism, itā€™s KCD without hesitationā€¦ and hopefully its successor.

thereā€™s nothing wrong with one versus the other. itā€™s not a zero sum situation and think comparisons predicated on such a notion are silly at the least. think of it: i want a game with magic, elves and dragonsā€¦ not TES (or Dragon Age or whatever)ā€¦ i want KCD. makes absolutely no sense. similarly nothing about Oblivion and Skyrim makes them suitable as relatively open world RPGs situated in the HRE unless you use mods and strip out all the redeeming aspects of those games

1 Like

I still like Oblivion. If youre not a graphics snob theres so many great games that youve missed out on. I started on super nintendo in '96(ish) lol

Both are good as frelemdieval mentioned!

KCD has been inspired by Oblivion. So if you play one of them, you play the other title in some cases too.
You can not like one of them if you play one of them. Unless you do not like realism or fantasy. icon_laughing

There isnt that much in common between them, KCD is more historical and aims to be realistic compared to Oblivion that is a made up fantasy world with magic and elves. You are over-generalizing here , at the very core they are both medieval themed (sort of) open world RPGs but the similarities stop there.

No. KCD has been inspired by Gothic. A lot people from Warhorse love the Gothic franchise and you feel they are both no mainstream games, you feel they have both consequences and a non-generic game design. The Witcher 3 has been inspired by Gothic too.

1 Like

Yeah, Skalitz was inspired by Kvatch. The Cumans were inspired by Deadra. The Sasau monastery was inspired by the Mythic Dawn. Sir Hans was inspired by Martin. Sir Toth was inspired by Mehrunes Dagon. Jan Volta and Adam Sporka were inspired by Jeremy Soule. The books as a means to boost player attributes were inspired by Sigil stones. KCD first person POV was inspired by Oblivionā€™s first or third person POV. The bears and wolves in KCD were inspired by the bears and wolves of Oblivion. Etc. The similarities are so striking that people often confuse them as being the same, not unlike the common tendency in the world today of conflating Mexicans and Americans

2 Likes

:rofl: :+1:

If your perception is just that you think others only compare visual things, youā€™re wrong.
I talked about the technical side and the construction in design.
So i dont know how stupid someone can be to write such crap like ā€œThe Cumans were inspired by Deadra.ā€ or combine such themes with political ones! F+ Mr! Even if i play Oblivion alongside KCD, it feels as if it had technically formed the base for KCD as well. Or it was a base for some features of it. I dont know how many words you need to understand this. Yeah i know, now you can be again the smart one and maybeā€¦ write a comparsion of a function from Oblivion to the Minigames in KCD?^^ But in practical terms, I do not care what you think about it.
And @Chessqueen You just do not seem to understand that actually many games are based on Gothic because it was one of the first best 3D RPGā€™s. In the end, the game is irrelevant in comparison to other RPGs. It is and will be everytime a masterpiece for some generations and communities. kk, maybe Gothic 3 can be compared to things like, idk is skyrim good for you all?!

What donā€™t I understand?

1 Like

That only his opinion matters and only he can be right, nobody is his equal and we must all bask in his glory.

You know what, maybe i took you wrong. ive been drinking and had a shitty day lost someone close to me recently and im trying to get mind off it and losing my mind at the same time. I will delete my comments and eat my words. I am out of line here, I apologize for my shitty behavior.

under the hood, thereā€™s similarity. so what? end users rate not on technical specs but on use (ie the purpose of this thread). use in the context of games isnā€™t the coding mechanics of triggering scripts etc, itā€™s playing a game.

in the parlance of regulatory software development, youā€™re preoccupied on IQ and the like whereas most of us who play are actually concerned with PQ and the like.

sarcasm

@rataj With whom are you talking? Whatā€™s going wrong in your head?

Name one game that isnt better than oblivion lol xD

Elder Scrolls is overrated. Itā€™s okay, but also becomes boring very fast. Itā€™s sort of mediocre RPGs. Itā€™s just popular (because of mod support???) I donā€™t know, but itā€™s not worth to get hyped in heaven.

yes and no

" Skyrim Sales Estimated At 3.4 Million In Two Daysā€¦ According to VGChartz the vast majority of those buying at retail bought the game on 360. The breakdown was 59% on 360, with 27% on the PS3, and 14% on PC."

console mods werenā€™t around in Nov 2011