Lady Stephanie or Theresa? Which do you choose?

I nailed 'em both.

5 Likes

Easy desision. Sir Hanush

2 Likes

Wine or beer? Yes, Iā€™ll have them both

5 Likes

So, Hans Capon = ā€œJohn the Castrated Cockā€ with all the slurs thereunto pertaining. So, Iā€™m thinking heā€™s the postmanā€™s baby and his motherā€™s husband knows, but went along with it rather than return the dowry. Thatā€™s the only way I can think of child ever being given such a name :slight_smile: Probably also explains his extended minority under a regent.

Definitely Theresa. Sheā€™s brave and has that peasant girlā€™s charm. I really feel bad for letting those Cumans rape her in the beginning.

4 Likes

To build on this a bit, Yankee is derived from Jan a prejorative for (stupid) Jan (John). Anyone know if German form Hans connotes same in Czech. If so, the (stupid) John the Castrated Cock is a pretty judgmental name

1 Like
5 Likes

Sorry, you need to restart your game and distract the Cumans. :^)

4 Likes

In the German Version heā€™s Hans Capon too, however, the Castrated rooster would be ā€œKapaunā€ or ā€œKapphahnā€ (kappen-caponize).
Maybe it was an Insider Joke for them, But they didnā€™t translate it then :wink:

So, the German word is cognate with the English word, which came from French, which came from Latin, all with the same spelling. Also, the Czech version is ā€œKapounā€ according to GoogleTranslate, obviously related to the German version. So the word for a castrated cockerel seems to be a pan-Indo-European thing going back probably at least as far as the Late Middle Bronze Age.

Thus being the case, maybe WH didnā€™t feel the need to translate ā€œcaponā€ into different languages as everybody in Europe should immediately recognize the word (at least if they have chickens in their background). Or maybe not. Maybe it was a legit surname. but then poor Sir Hans probably always heard the Latin-speaking clergy and the ambassadors from France and England snickering behind his back :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would say its just better for translationā€¦ in czech and real history his name was Jan Ptacek (Hans the small bird-which sound strange in english).

3 Likes

You Just broke the fun - though this might bei true :wink:

Definitly chickens in the Background - iā€™m quite Sure Most people i know donā€™t know the Word ā€œKapaunā€.

I am Czech, so I can explain that rooster thing :slight_smile:

So ā€¦ in czech it is ā€œJan PtĆ”Äekā€. ā€œJanā€ is just a name equivalent to ā€œHansā€ (or John). ā€œPtĆ”Äekā€ means ā€œlittle birdā€, but ā€œptĆ”kā€ (meaning ā€œbirdā€) it is also vulgar name for manā€™s cock. So ā€œptĆ”Äekā€ would be ā€œlittle cockā€. I really donā€™t know why Hans was called like that (because he WAS historical person and his name is historical), and it is also possible that the word did not have such vulgar or negative connotations in 1403. But nowadays it has, and English translation keeps true to it.

4 Likes

Even funnier

For the record, because someone mentioned it earlier, so far you cannot bone Hans. I got in the tub with him, but it was strictly no homo. Currently running a quest where we get in trouble for boozing and enjoying some wenches. SO far just a bromance (he wanted me to dress nice so I took his clothes instead of the ones he gave me while he was sleeping, he woke up and got dressed as normal; now weā€™re twinsies)ā€¦will follow up

3 Likes

Did you say #NoHomo ? Because otherwise it was :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I mean hey, it was the medieval times. All I know is when Henry got in the tub, there was no hanky panky with Hans. But Iā€™m going to exhaust his questlines because he seems like he likes me :joy:

well ā€¦ homo could be problematic because it was punished by death :smiley: ā€¦ maybe he wouldnt be executed because he is nobleman, but you would be deffinetly dead. Herman would be happy, more money for him :smiley:

2 Likes

Only if you went to the public with it - Believe me, there are enough signs of Noblemen having ā€œReally good friendsā€ besides their wife. That would be tolerated as long as they also did their duties like having children and so on.

1 Like

Im the only one who findā€™s it weird how fast this dicussion changed into Hans? :roll_eyes:

7 Likes