Local archaisms in dialogues?

May there be some archaisms and old-Czech or old-German-like words in dialogues?

NEIN!
NEIN !
NEIN NEIN!

something like that?

I would suggest - maybe it might sound a bit wierd - some simple old-Bohemian/Czech words can be used in a dialogues from time to time. Just to make it more interesting and perhaps a bit more exotic?
Like to adress somebody with an old-czech word “chlop”, instead just a “man” or “dude”.
Or to say “cajdra” when speaking about a woman in rags.
“Hovno” is (and was) also a nice word to express an emotions in Bohemia… etc.
Not sure. Is it a good idea to incorporate some local wording into the dialogues?

That might actually be an interesting idea, despite the fact, that “local” (to define your mentioned ‘local’ further) archaism would be a kind of difficult and time consuming target. Even so “regional” would be pretty hard work. “National” archaism not that much, but -I am afraid- you won’t find much of 'em in the game lateron.
Never the less such archaic words would be a tasty gimmick… :slight_smile:

(The following is NOT stating definite knowledge, merely sth I read about some time ago, but I would be happy if I don’t post total nonsense at all^^)

Well, as you mentioned ‘archaic’ words, I might like add the suggestion to generally take a closer look at the language used, especially in a “stylistic” kind of view. There is a word in German (“eigentlich”), that is in fact not a word as such, it is (or was) rather made a word, whic his but a “husk” of a word. It supports no meaning by itself, is merely used as a synonym for e.g. “ursprünglich” (originally) or “tatsächlich” (= sth. like “in deed”) or even used in conditional-ish clauses ("… , (but) actually I meant …")… FOr this example of “eigentlich” I think to remember that I some time ago have read, it derives from a similarly written word “eigenlich”, which comes from the topic of drudgery services (“Frondienste” was meant…) like “bondman”, “thrall” and “serf” as well.

I may find it slightly disturbing to see certain words in use as in modern style of language, when I was not expecting them.

To finalize the upepr thoughts:
It would be great if the Warhorses may find ressources to get the language style “to date”, but I may also understand if that won’t be possible.
Otherwise I would find it… negative if archaism where implemented, but only in Czech… (THough to do this, it certainly easier for the Horses…o.ô)

PS - Since when is “nein” archaic? :stuck_out_tongue: (Meh, one disadvantage of the forum: you can’t place ‘:’ near an ‘s’, it thinks there has to be a smiley whatever else was intended…)

I believe phonology will make this tricky… languages differ in accents, stresses and intonations, so combining of languages in a sentence leads to unnatural sound.
For example “Get out of here, you hrdláč!” sounds wierd, provided you can say it - google cannot :slight_smile:

hrdláč = a freeloader, a mooch in old czech

1 Like

I like the idea and I think Metro Last Light is a good example. If you played it, you know what I mean(just think of Pavel).

I could see doing this. It’s a nice way to remind the audience that the dialog is a translation convention, from another language.

Kind of like how FarScape’s dialog was all in English, with the occasional “untranslated” bit of alien slang or swear word thrown in.

I think this can go terribly wrong if it seems like random words in a different language but if all characters (depending on character native language) use the same oldCzech/German Loanwords in there version of english i think it would sound good. Also the player can easily pick up on those words from context if they are used in dialog often enough.

3 Likes