Lockpicking is impossible on console

I agree it’s way too hard with a controller, the very easy chest gave me hell , was harder that a very hard one in skyrim, it’s unbalanced

1 Like

I do want to mention i just unlocked a hard lock on console with a trick i found but i agree this is incredibly ridiculous and should be changed or the shake needs to be drastically reduced.

1 Like

Well, there’s clearly an issue when you start the lockpicking tutorial mission after the first town, yet it’s impossible to rotate the lock the slightest inch before the pick breaks, regardless of whether you’re using keyboard/mouse or a controller. Back in the alpha (or maybe beta?), I had little issue with lockpicking. Back then, it was at least possible. Now, I have literally never been able to pick a single lock. It just does not seem feasibly possible. Regardless of character skill level, it seems like it just downright doesn’t work. Considering the countless other issues the game has, I feel I can no longer just give them the benefit of the doubt.

1 Like

I also had to knock down the executioner after the tenth try with 5 lockpicks, so 50 tries totally (more and less). Something I really didn’t want to. While I had to sell my Saviour Schnaps when looking for the armor in Talmberg, which led me to one less save chance during the game (and this is another insanity… But let’s keep on topic).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with the idea itself: it’s quite clever and challenging. But having to waste 5 pins every time, every one of them costing 20 money on easy and very easy locks is pretty unbalanced, and takes away my will to practice the skill.

Or, at least, a free or almost free training ground for the ones who want to practice more!

1 Like

At least, make that lockpick unbroken. PLEASEEEEEEEEE…

1 Like

I think its odd that there are plenty of people that have no issues when it comes to picking locks. Yes, it is tough in the beginning. Yes, it is different than other games. Yes, it takes some time and patience in order to get used to. Is it impossible? No. Is is some game breaking problem? Absolutely not. When people have a hard time with something it is much easier to complain about it than it is to spend some time figuring it out…

2 Likes

When you are locked in a castle with limited funds available and a limited number of lockpicks that you are able to obtain. And you use up all the lockpics trying unsuccessfully to pic a lock. And you seemingly need to pick that lock to get something to progress the mission. At that point the mission is broken and hours of gameplay must be sacraficed and then redone. And you’ve done that 5 times. To me that is pretty much game breaking. If there is another way out besides jumping off the drawbridge, I haven’t found it. And I believe that jumping off the bridge may not be an intended form of exit.

And BTW I have had plenty of experience in the beta picking locks

1 Like

Just commit a crime, they will throw you out of the gates. easy :smiley:

Jump down the bridge, commit a crime, or my favourite; knock out a guard and steal his stuff.

yeah, that one works aswell! :slight_smile: Knock down is one way, or steal a bow in armory, and plant an arrow between his eyes. Works wonders, if your carma can handle it

The lockpicking system is so extremely hard. Ok, I don’t think I would be able to pick a lock myself since I’ve never tried it before, but with hep it could’ve been a little bit easier, just to make it realistic.
So I can understand it is hard as fkbls before you meet the Miller, but when you start the tutorial it should become somewhat easier.
On PS4 I had the yellow ball almost all the way around, and still it broke. I breaks no matter what I do, and rotating both sticks 360 degrees is a pain in the a**.

1 Like

In this thread there has been given many alternatives to picking the lock on that box in the armory. If you look in other threads, other forums, there is probably more alternatives. So as far as getting out of talmberg, people should be able to accomplish that without too much trouble

I’m actually working on posting a video to help console players anyway. I found a way that once you have mastered it it works rather well. I’ve opened several more hard chests since my last post xD, (Also just ran out of my first 7 lock picks.)

1 Like

@DasVoid could you please count how many people (including me) are telling that this is a problem, and compare it to the “plenty of” people (including you) who says it’s ok? I don’t know if it’s me, but I only see a few people who says it’s ok, compared to a vast majority who reports this as an issue.

Anyway, I want to keep this as constructive as possible, just the opposite of your attitude of “stop bitching and go play you stupid noobs”.

Ok, I left Talmberg safely (after wasting a Saviour schnap because I had to save and reload like 7 or 8 times to get the armour from a EASY locked crate) and I knocked out the executioner to steal his keys to get the ring. I was forced to do two things I didn’t want to, but ok, you will reply that you’re supposed to have plan b or even c when things go wrong. Ok, I can live with this – it’s a challenge, and a welcome one. I accept that.

But I just want to know: how am I supposed to improve if every time I have to lockpick something I am forced to give up and take another path because I run out of picklocks and of money to buy them? Wouldn’t it be good if we had some training ground to master the technique, just like swords and bows?

2 Likes

About getting into the armory.
My buddy and I play this game and he just walked into the armory, got his fancy suit of crap armor, and strolled out.
I tried the same and got to a locked door with locked chests.
And trying to pick those locks was not an option since the lockpicks costs a fortune for a poor blacksmith boy.
My buddy told me I could get lockpicks from my buddies, but I didn’t get any even if I treid to talk to them more than once. No option to even talk to them after the Deutsch-mission.

Is the game that dynamic that it can change the outcome of how to solve it every time we play it?

This! This this this!
But then again, maybe we’ll get to a point where a thiefing scumbag shows you the ropes a bit better than the miller?

I really wish that. But again: the miller doesn’t actually teach you anything IMHO. it just throws you there, gives you some lockpins (at least I hope – i didn’t count my attempts, and can’t confirm whether I only used only previously owned lockpins or not) and as soon as you realize how does it work you run out of them (and you need more to complete the executioner task using lockpicking).

So… what did I learn actually? That lockpicking is not a viable way at this moment.

1 Like

Another idea would be increasing the skill by just failing. Slowly, of course, but still have a chance to improve in failing. Isn’t it true even in real life after all?

3 Likes

@Lorthirk I did the same thing. I used Savior Schnapps until I could figure it out as well. It is one Savior Schnapps. They can be acquired very easily in game. I just don’t see the problem here. Im not calling anyone a noob or trying to be mean here. It is a purposeful game mechanic that people are complaining about, and it isn’t the only one. Once you get to the miller things become increasingly easier when it comes to picking locks. You kill a couple people, rob a couple people, steal a few things and BAM! you have money to buy schnapps as well as lock picks. If people went further than the tutorial before they started complaining then there wouldn’t be people like myself telling them to quit whining. If people want a Bethesda game go play a Bethesda game. If you want something that challenges you and you like the way these Devs are proceeding with this game then Play Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

If you want, I can post a link of a video of me unlocking chest after chest after chest. I saved a video just in case anyone needed to see how it really isn’t that hard

1 Like

Well wow! Good for you! You’re super awesome! Do you want a cookie or perhaps merit badge for your glorious accomplishments?

That’s like me saying “my max bench is 435, it’s kind of difficult but not impossible since I’ve one repped it numerous times. You need to just practice.” How about you need to go outside Mr Game Genie.