My honest opinion on "From the Ashes" DLC

Your target market with that feedback (the devs) was solid, and I agree with the merits of some sorta check, at least on a version by version patch release, as a qualifier for whether thing ‘improved or remained the same’/a sets a likely explaination.

I probably +1d devs responce saying it wasnt likely to happen, on basis it is a ‘worst case scenario test’(perfect for its intent) so customers who have no interest in understanding hardware/computers dodnt set an expectation that it is possible.

(As an aside, Frel, I enjoy running the test and have not one iota of missed texture or popin through the whole run, on a slowish horse, on PC ultra +)

It is a great test.
Frelmedievals idea is sound… if the popins in vanilla KCD started happening around the first corner, and Warhorse, via updates have improve the consoles rendering (generally they do), patch 1.4, might have extended it to no pop ins till the town square… 1.5 no pop in- but a slow down until top courtyard, (with texture misses), until popins hit outside of castle…

Feedback like this isnt for everyone.
The rypical console gamer grabs new patches as the come out, something consoles and steam likes doing automatically.

The point raised is obvious; if they are going to make decisions that alter performance either way, then we need an indication of whether the patch fixes quest bugs or changes graphics quality.
We then choose whether to break our working version for something else…

The twch peeps moght want an indication of the change… the horse run through rattay is a stable worse case scenario to set expectations (and can reveal whether improvements should be expected ‘for the majority’).

1 Like

there is such a quest. it is given by Woyzeck(sp) i.e. second miller. it is I think the 3rd “job” to pull for him in Sassau. tavern.

2 Likes

The recipe is in the Uzice tavern.:blush:

I stand corrected. :man_facepalming:
BTW it is sooooo easy to do. Just walk in to the storages room look around the center shelves and a walk out seemingly not even being noticed.

That was actually how the grindstone gets into the patch.

3 Likes

Theres more to 'it than that? Surely… like part one is seeing ingredients on shelf part two is seeing them being combined (at some point in the day).

As a developer Id add two variables…
Thursdays (?) Delivery, if late makes thirsday and/or fridays meal lackluster (and change a few variables on consumed food qualitys even if just 5%-10%).

Ive seen how easy modern gamers get tripped out trying to break down an rpgs mechanics.
They cannot handle that the sheer cpu grunt behind it can do so many thousands and thousands of similtaneous decisions.
They have no idea that the genre that most loves this stuff (RPGs) back in the eighties, dreamed of modest cpu improvements.

Let a then tabletop game developer (the people who build rules for these types of things) systemise and make accessible in realtime… a game which resembles doom, simply for being 3D, and they expect some basic barrels go boom, enemies react type affair with the underlying AI is mad. The level of complexity should be beyond subtle, it should be downright unrevealable ).
When its more nuanced (and great games never revealed underlying stuff, often a part of what makes them great), no member of the public should be able to give a casual run down of the mechanics.maybe the barman at whichever establishment the team frequent could take a punt at some of the variables…

Any game that comes out with a hint guide detailing more than just expected hit die on enemies and a how to make a series of potions; goes beoyind and gives up the rules the AI play with thats unfair…

A game like metal gear solid, for example, used to make the gameplay about the ever increasing constraints that the computer could create in any given situation put on the player.
In that regards ot was the sort of game that made gamers aware that conditiinal responces might be going on in their games.

I noticed in doom (original/ beta) an enemy 'nicking a team mate and turning on him.
Made me laugh and sit back from the keyboard.
The atari jaguar version obviously lacked this code for sensible reasons.
Its awesome that modern systems all get the same base KCD game…
What was recently mentioned on these forums about expansions setting the framework from which mods have as a common ground- is spot on.
The complexities of KCD shouldnt be lessened, and many on these forums, and elsewhere no doubt, demonstrate the kindest patience letting them fix what they have.(better than just drop the quality like can be done-= forza, ahem, forza=-)
On that note, Id love to never know how many tables KCD really rolls…

More on topic of seeking the recipe (a quest I havent seen) I think a few steps should be there.

I gather in making a framework work, that quest paths might not be fleshed out, rather, ‘put in place’… if I start to see a whole slew of content, or even ‘shallow quests’ in the main game, it would make me think that ‘the devs’ will get back to that…

A game that launched complete gets away without being scrutinised in this fashion, but ine that obviously shows ‘we werent finished’ makes us beg the question, possibly constantly, maybe depending on QA…

Expecting ‘a few more steps’ is order of the day here…
(Final act), so lets focus (@devs) on making the journey enjoyable as much as the destination, wgilst we roll out DLC and expand our world (view) with Warhorse.

@Whitedragem, i think you came here with a knife between your teeth, looking for a discussion to blow your steam by being aggressive with people and finding yourself better than others. Looking for an “easy target” to upset.

Well, you will not find it here. Even writing basically a book with each comment that in the second line of what you wrote already makes me bored.

I started this conversation over to see how people are reacting to the DLC. Whether they are liking it or not, and if they have the same opinion as mine.

And you come here as “the owner of the truth”, saying that all this is a shit talk and calling me a flower?

Friend, go look for what to do and get off your high heels. This is all just a conversation about a game that we like very much and we all have the right to express our opinion, but been aggressive is not a right, is the opposite, and that is what you did.

If you really need to fill your ego better look elsewhere. Maybe wonder about your way of life and perhaps get a girlfriend, or boyfriend, I do not know what you like, and blow your steam in the proper place.

Try to be a better person than this.

Edit: Another thing. Try to learn how to write in proper english. Those posts of yours are quite a pain in the ass to understand right.

3 Likes

nope just and out and out go steal this fetch quest. then offered another thieving fetch quest.

1 Like

Only if you know where to look for the recipe. If you think it’s in a chest and you are low on lockpicks and skill… it’s not that easy. :blush:

But back to topic:
I think the church is much too cheap. It should cost ten time more to renovate this ruin.

Maybe WH will surprise us but not yet seeing how the amorous adventures of Hans Capon advances us in the manner you mentioned

and with it a better steeple , even if still in wood. Not a rehash of the wreck it was before.

1 Like

One thing I have learned in games over the decades is to look ALL around the area I am in. especially buildings/ room/ dungeons, and KCD enforced this. Seen too many online play thru’s not do this. They quick scan and leave missing what they were looking for a mere meter away if looked slower/harder. Also a man with 6 stripes more than me once taught me what assuming means: Making an Ass out of U and Me.

Jesus Christ be praised.

If you survived childhood, you would probably get older. The average life span is so low because of the extreme high rate of child mortality.

If you have a group of people, and half of them dies in the age of 30, and half of them dies in the age of 32, you would get the average life span of 31, which would be considered as very old.
But if you have a group of people, and half of them dies in the age of 60 and half of them dies in the age of 2, the average life span will be 31 years of age, too. However, 31 would not be considered as very old and you will see a lot of old people too.
It is a myth, that 45-50 years old people were rare in medieval times. The average is just influnced by the extreme high child mortality rate.

8 Likes

Yeah this is a point many people seem to miss. “Average life expectancy at birth” is not the same as “normal lifespan”.
For as you point out the death rate among children is way way higher than among adults (have mostly to do with their immune systems not being fully developed) where children 0-5 years of age had by far the highest death rate and this screw up the numbers significantly. If a person manages to live to their 20th birthday chances where decent they might even see their 60th even in medieval times though it vary some over regions.
Even in pre-historic times a normal lifespan was at least about 45 years though again only if you first reached the age of 15 (about reproductive age) which I think barely over 50% of people born did way back then.

2 Likes

Exactly! I expressed similar views and explanations earlier in this topic and you are absolutely correct. People have some misconception that if one became 30 years old in the 15th century that person was like a 90 year old today, this is of course very much noth the truth. A 30 year old during the 15th century would have been one of the lucky to survive infancy and early childhood but beyond that the person is just that, a 30 year old. As earlier mentioned if one uses England in late medieval times, if one reached the age of 21 the life expectancy of that person suddenly became 64.

2 Likes

If one managed to survive war, disease ( Tuberculosis, Hans( leprosy) disease, cholera, Typhoid), plagues, infections from injuries causing septic shock, being bleed out as a “cure”, poor to no sanitation, poor hygiene. then ya, one could hit the lottery and live to a ripe old age of 65.

1 Like

And many did in fact do just that. I know it is Wikipedia but it has some really interesting facts about life expectancy in different area and eras. Look how crazy old the life expectancy is for scholars in the Abbasid-Caliphate or the Umayyad-Caliphate when after the Umayyad dynasty took huge part of the Iberian peninsula.

There really is some really fascinating information about all of this on Wikipedia if one does not want to or do not have the time to read hundreds of books about just one era and one area.

Look for example what happens in England with the life expectancy in the early/high era of the industrial revolution!

1 Like

Umayyad Caliphate of Córdoba was far more developed than Christian Kingdoms (at least, spanish ones), having Córdoba as the largest city at the time. “Their knowledge in the fields of “medicine, mathematics, astronomy, botany” exceeded the rest of Europe” (Wikipedia).

1 Like

Indeed it did, my primary in history is Abrahamitic religion-history with a focus on Islam. I have read tons of books and even written some smaller books by myself. The entire Islamic world at the mentioned era(s) was very advanced. Even the Ottoman Empire when they claimed the mantle of not only Roman Emperor but also that of Caliph, was in many places way more advanced than Western Europe. But nothing lasts forever and Europe did of course eventually climb to in most ways eclipse the Ottoman Empire in nearly every field.

Sorry for OT but Islamic History is what I work with so it makes me talk forever. Back to what we should have talked about in this topic!

Now I am even more OT, but I would love WH to make a game where we play as a citizen of the Eastern Roman Empire, aka The Byzantine Empire. There are literally an infinity of cool things happen in and around Constantinople during any medieval era! And no movies I have ever seen, have explored these possibilities so WH has an open treasure to just loot from!

2 Likes