NPC routines are a waste of resources

Fast travel is related to how long sleeping and waiting takes. We can easily instantly teleport, that was available in the beta. The problem is calculating how much time that should take, and what the NPCs should be doing while you fast travel.

We already had a form of fast travel in the beta. Well, more like it was a scripted instanced event, where you, and all NPCs, were teleported to the battle. If Robard was sitting and eating the moment you initiated the battle, he would begin sitting in mid air as he loaded in.

So even if you are a fast travel vegetarian, the fast travel issues will still affect you.

There were also some amusing shenanigans if you took the Cuman’s horse and then got questioned by a Cuman, teleporting Cumans, and if you killed Morcock before the mill event, then you had some amusing things happen then too.

https://or.justice.cz/ias/ui/rejstrik-firma.vysledky?subjektId=409076&typ=PLATNY

The company is majority owned by a bilionaire with large experience in banking, mining industry, cargo industry and huge portfolio of real estate.

General manager is a person with experience of running over a dozen companies, including corporation owning an airport, shoe maker, publishing house, cargo company (trucks & trains), logistical, healthcare (company owning multiple hospitals), etc.

https://firmy.euro.cz/jmeno-martin-fryvaldsky-betinsky

I think it is time for you to start beating off to something else than shitposting to this forum.

2 Likes

Gotta love this guy. Tells other people to get a life yet stalks the devs twitter accounts and forums to try hard shitting on the game so much he is bleeding butthurt.

They waste money here, they waste money there. It’s a shame you were not a wasted load in a sock instead of a waste of space.

That was maybe a lil harsh :DD but hey we all gots our opinions huh.

5 Likes

Ultima VII is still one of the best RPG’s I’ve ever played! Löööv that game!

1 Like

I’d be hard pressed to name any RPG that’s better :smile:. Replayed it about a year ago, and the magic was still there. There are certainly aspects to it that have been done much better in more recent games, but when taken as a whole I still find it unparalleled.

I do have hopes that KC:D will exhibit some of the same qualities, however.

1 Like

What are some of the best qualities it has?

Mind you, this is the personal opinion of someone who started playing video games on an Atari 2600 console, but I’ll try to remain objective ;-).

For me, the best part is clearly the sandbox. U7 is an open world game par excellence. This starts with its large, meticulously crafted, seamless world, rendered in amazing detail (for it’s time), almost completely open to exploration from the start (for some parts you need to own a ship or the flying carpet), where you can pick up or otherwise interact with many objects, complete with dynamic weather, day and night cycle and NPCs that go about their business. Best of all, the world and all interiors can be traversed without encountering a single loading screen! (Here’s a fully interactive map - spoilers, of course)

Regarding the NPCs (of which there are about 265 named ones, each with their own, unique dialogue): while many of those play a role as shop-keepers, trainers or as part of quests, most of them are also related to or otherwise associated with their fellow NPCs, and from conversation or through observation quite a bit can be deduced about their social lives and backgrounds.

Also, by virtue of being the 7th instalment in the series, there’s an immense amount of history and lore that gives the world weight and credibility. While not too much of that is directly referenced in the game itself (though your companions and some NPCs already appeared in previous games, and there’s a museum with “historical” artefacts and items), the fact that it exists certainly helped in fleshing out the world and its inhabitants. It’s kinda like how Lord of the Rings benefited from the existence of the Silmarillion.

The plot too integrates quite well into this sandbox, as it does not enforce a strict order in which to accomplish tasks, though there are two red threads a player might follow instead of just exploring to her heart’s content. I don’t want to go into spoiler territory, but it’s a decent story for an open world game, that will eventually take you through all major places on the map.

Aside from the whole sandbox/open world aspect, I find the user interface rather excellent too. Best of it: there practically is none :-). Normally, you have a completely unobstructed view of the game world in all its 320x200 pixel glory, and the UI that is there will only show when needed. On top of that, it mostly follows a skeuomorphic design principle: your inventory takes the appearance of a backpack, your spell-book is 
 a book, etc. If you want to know what time it is, you better buy a watch. Want to know your location in the game world, get a map and sextant. So even while interacting with the interface, there’s still the semblance of remaining within the realm of the game.

If you then imagine that all of the above fitted on eight 5 1/4" floppy disks and ran on a 386 with 25Mhz and 2MB of RAM, it’s nothing short of amazing. Though I would understand if the graphics might be off-putting to gamers with modern sensibilities ;-).

I will also freely admit that combat isn’t all that great. It’s real time without pause, with party-AI that is only adjustable within very small limits. Often enough, fights are over before you even had a chance to give any meaningful orders, with your companions madly dashing off-screen to chase after the last fleeing opponent. At least it does not distract too much from the exploration, and certainly doesn’t waste your time with fighting endless waves of trash-mobs. Although foes in dungeons and the wilderness do respawn after a while.

One last thing I do want to mention is that the game is clearly from a time where developers still would not be dead serious about their creation, and I think that shows, in a good way. It’s never blatantly silly, but there are quite a few easter eggs and fun or weird things to discover that might be unthinkable in a game of this day and age.

3 Likes

no way! i for one want more things like that. That kinda detail makes you fall in to a game. In todays day and age that kidna thing should be standard practice.

3 Likes

Routines might be too complex but Minigames are unique and very rich no other game has something like that wel done

1 Like

problem is they are not trying to sell a game to the backers - the people that already know, more or less that this is the game they want, so they shelled out money before the game is even finished to fund it. However, once the game is out on the market, there is a fine line between appealing to your backers while appealing to as much people as possible. So the developers have to be very, very careful with something that the masses may view as “mundane” or “not as interesting” while still holding the interests of their backers.

From what I got here, the devs don’t really care about sales and they are idealistically making a game that only appeals to realism nerds (poorly though, since there are already a lot of survival games that got the realism part done better than KC, but none of them were straight rpgs).
Though I wouldn’t underestimate the effect of graphics, statistically about 1/4 of players buy games based on graphics and that is the one thing they got right in KC.

Just when you look from a gameplay point of view, KC really has nothing offer that isn’t done better and more elegantly somewhere else, since other devs spent more time on that instead of wasting it on superficial stuff.

Wow. Game is not even out yet and you shit on it. Than you compare realistic setting of narrative driven RPG to realistic survival game. You are kinda all over the place just to discredit developers that want to create something new.
To your argument that this company is wasting resources on NPC routines. If you look at it as investment to future and setting new standard when it comes to NPC interaction it is competently new story. A lot of players want new innovation in games when it comes to AI. There is so far you can go with graphics. If Warhorse show it can be done, other developers may follow, and that is a good thing!
Look at VR now. Nobody cared, than bunch of people tinkered with some stuff and created Oculus. Seemingly waste of resources, there have been a lot of people like you saying that it will not lead anywhere since it did not work few years back. Look at it now. HTC vive, PS VR, OSVR, Oculus and others are investing heavily in VR.
But fuck innovation right? Better to be safe and just go for easy money.

Edit: Jut look at it as risky investment of time and resources. It may go wrong, but it can also go right and create pressure for industry to do something similar.

Disagree, the devs aren’t sons of millionaires, they got families to feed. Being passionate about a game you are making is one thing, making a game that appeals only to be small section of players is another. I simply do not believe that, when developing this game the developers went “we can either appeal to a larger base of people and make more money or appeal to a small subsection of the gamers and make little to no money at all - let’s go with the latter”. In the end there are mouths that need to be fed, bills that need to be paid. Many games appeals to larger audiences without betraying their original version, so why couldn’t this game as well?

You don’t have to aim games at “the masses” to gain sales. Shockingly, not everyone holds the same tastes, and the majority of gamers will disagree on what they like. There is no “the masses”, but multiple large groups. You can not appeal to everyone. It isn’t possible.

People that want a realistic game for once aren’t some rare alien species, I doubt you’d find more than a couple of people here that don’t enjoy Skyrim, the Witcher, etc. They’ve been clear from the start that there is a line between realism and simulationism, that they’d be compromising between realism and making sure it stays fun. I see no evidence that they’ve strayed off from where they started, or that they’ve had to dumb anything down for “the masses” to gain more sales.

I also see no evidence that there aren’t a huge amount of people that like RPGS with a realistic bent, evident by the massive popularity of realism based Skyrim and fallout mods. The fact is, an extreme number of people love RPGs, as well as realistic features, and this isn’t going wildly off in the direction of simulationism to the point of making it a strange niche.

Not all games are for everybody. If someone doesn’t like it, and complains that isn’t an MMO, or not fantasy, or whatever, quite frankly they can fuck off.

2 Likes

Hell No, you’re on your own dude! Ask for a refund and leave us here for good! I think you are taking your little financial contribution to this project way too serious. Obviously the majority has no problem waiting for a good game!

6 Likes

I would agree, but nothing about KC is realistic. It’s less realistic than many other games.
Combat is a joke copy of mount&blade that has nothing to do with all the great “research” they did on medieval combat.
The food system is a joke. Many food items go bad too fast. It’s tedious. You can’t buy food from most people.
Nobody reacts to you being in their houses. You can just steal everything when nobody is watching.
Then the game is overly detailed in points that are completely unnecessary, such as having 16 slots for clothes, but limited inventory and stupid console style menu to navigate the ridiculous number of items.
The rpg system is uninspired and way too simple to be even remotely realistic.
Every character has the same size - even the guy described to be a giant and also dumb as bread. But he is neither really dumb nor any taller or more muscular than the rest of the NPCs.

No matter where you look at - if you take realism as a benchmark - fail, fail, fail. All we get is a walking simulator with nice forests.

Everything you said was based on the beta. You still don’t know what “realistic” means.

You’re such a tedious person, get a hobby or something ◔_◔

4 Likes

This cunt is good I must say. He ain’t using cheap bait and tackle like I normally do. We can still wriggle off his hook before it gets caught in our throat.

5 Likes

lol

yes

seems no

Do you know what means “beta”?

4 Likes

How is limited inventory unrealistic? =)
Have you even seen RPG system? In beta it wasn®t even working half the time, yet I was still quite impressed how complex it seems
 And what RPG system has to do with realism goddamnit? :smiley:

Also, do you normally go around town, buying food from random people? Man, you must be fun at parties!