Speculation: What will 1.5 bring?

So that I have wonderful variety of pixelated objects upon which I can illogically displace my anger. Just like I do in GTAO.

Very therapeutic actually. You should try it sometime :grinning:

1 Like

‘Historical accuracy’ is in an RPG is an exercise in self deception

Apex predators can but don’t kill everything under the sun

I’m a pedophile, but in case of 13-16 year old skinny teenage girls, not of little kids (!!!) and that’s not the reason why I want them in game. This is not about sexuality! The fact is realism! The world feels not realistic without children, especially in a medieval game. The Witcher has children, Skyrim has children, and they were just there to live. To be a part of a believable world and that increase the atmosphere.

Basically what @Chessqueen said (minus the pedophile part) :smile:

Yes is is COMPLETELY unrealistic NOT to have a single child in sight in the KCD universe. Especially since children were subjected to some of the most dangerous jobs in medieval times. Like being a troop standard bearer or waterboy in a military army–not unlike the one that sacked Skalitz. The (clearly distasteful & uncomfortable) existence of child/teen prostitutes who most likely accompanied military armies in the baggage train. Or who existed to provide said services in whatever towns/villages the military garrison was camped nearby.

Then where were child laborers who assisted tradesmen like smiths and other guild member merchants in towns/villages. Or were errand boys & farm hand laborers etc etc.

Hell if KCD is going to be re-enacting historic RPGs as its bread and butter for the future, it’s going to have to consider children. Because child labor was reserved for some of the most dangerous professions up to the Industrial Revolution. Children were gang pressed to serve on imperial European Navies as cannonball munition runners and as sail riggers where they had to climb to 20ft+ crow’s nest/mast heights to unfurl sails. In the middle of 20ft+ wave storms at sea. Or were chimney sweeps and most prone to black lung disease/cancer etc etc.

Children are an uncomfortable topic. But if KCD is going to claim any degree of historic accuracy, then they’re going to have to include them. And not cave into PC revisionist history, because it may be offensive to the fan base or overall general public. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@Holt_Bathgate that’s absolutely correct! Hopefully WH will read this and think about it to add children in later updates. They could just fill the towns and villages, where they work or play in the background. Henry could talk to them, but they shouldn’t play an important role. Just being there. But it would be even more emotional to see how war affects children.

It wouldn’t be that problematic to add 20 or 30 children in the whole game and record some voices, maybe short dialogs.

1 Like

I agree, but with some caveats. You simply cannot have Henry hooking up with a 13 year old. Just not good. However, showing children at work in a reasonably realistic fashion is fine. Until fairly recently (1800s) children were generally viewed as small, less capable adults.

I would not want the world to be completely awful though. It wasn’t. even for peasants, medieval life was not constantly and endlessly dreary. There were festivals and feasts and games. People had fun. there was the war, famine, plague, etc., but in between 

Mouse wheel works

:open_mouth: And here I’ve been going up and down with W&S like a complete knob.

2 Likes

Girls were considered women after the had their first menstrual cycle. Girls aging 11-12 was a typical age and could be as young as 9 years old. If you look at Eastern cultures (particularly Islamic ones which have varied very little since 7th cen) girls are married off as young as infants (eg as in Yemen). Their adult aged husbands have full rights to sexual relations within the confines of Shariah Law, regardless of their child bride’s age. Heck, 22 states in America lack an official legal minimum age to get married. North Carolina and Alaska allow marriage of teenagers as young as 14 if certain conditions apply. The other 20 or so states loosely enforce statutory limits at various ages under 18.

That being said, the Middle Ages had a similar culture when you look at how the society (ranging from peasanty to the Nobility) would try to get rid of/sell off the family’s female offspring as soon as possible. Unlike the male progeny, girls were considered a burden. Their only tactical advantage was bringing a dowry to their in law families (if nobility) or providing extra laborer/worker help and/or furthering the family tree (if poorer/lower class).

It was a cultural thing that was universally accepted in the Middle Ages. And completely lacking in the realism of KCD universe.

2 Likes

I’m sure there were reasons to exclude children. Wonder if it was an ESRB thing (mostly internationally to the US-that’s pretty “lax” about content).

1 Like

More likely the models have different limb ratios and cannot just be ‘scaled from existing assets’ - attention needed for animations etc.

Plus for any level of immersion they would need to have a ‘world to live in’
 eg playing marbles in the town square (when not chimney sweeping)

The cost of scripting dialogue and voice acting would have done it- especially as the games launch deadline approached. Any feature creep/addition not ABSOLUTELY necessary being culled prior to dec/jan gold mastering.

Heck volumetric fog adds so much to this game world and it got pulled. Creating some triggers for disabling fog for cave exploration being a resourse hog- hasnt happened (yet).

For PC users wanting to check out the fog

Tilde key (~) opens console, then type e_volumetricfog=1 (change 1 to 0 to disable)

One of the better Skyrim mods (for those seeking a realistic world) was adding infants and babies.
Walking into Markarth and having a market salesperson clutching a babe is an experience that stays with me always- making the virtual world more immersive.

Which Skyrim mod adds infants and babies? Is that mod for the SE version?

I haven’t tried volumetric fog yet. A little nervous how my system would handle it. Does it make your PC run hot?

What is this ERSB? Law-enforcing entity or such? I went to their site and somehow couldnt figure out what the heck are they about. Even checked their “cathegory” list and couldnt find anything about having children (killable children?) in the list as smtg that is forbidden.
Looks like some fracking advisory comitee full of SJWs and other softlings running the media world nowdays.

There was also one that added pregnant women in various stages of pregnancy. This had to be one of the best realism mods I encountered to date. I mean, Skyrim NPCs didn’t stop having sex just because there was an ongoing civil war in their backyard. Or because some overly entitled Vampire Lord or Dragon Priest had megalomaniac designs for a new world order.

So I seriously doubt the good NPC denizens of Skyrim would give a rat’s @$$ about what a rouge Aedric flying lizard with a pyromaniac streak thought about their reproductive cycles. Nevermind that one’s inbred trouble making siblings and first cousins. Who, for lack of better manners, insisted on stirring up trouble and heating up things while you were busy traveling on the road, nature bonding with your bow, Spriggans & other creatures in the wilderness, or just minding your own business weeding your herb garden on your farm.

TL;DR 1.5 should consider adding children and pregnant women :relaxed:

2 Likes

edited
I hate this forum

Interesting read. Especially this:

I redact calling WHS a crusty, shriveled up prude for giving Henry a virginity achievement. Turns out Henry was bundling up with Teresa and the bath maids all this time.

And with Lady Stephanie
no wait the woman remains a true succubus. What she did is still blatant child molestation and rape IMO.

1.5 will release on consoles sometime next year :smile:

you mean it won’t be a Christmas present?! :open_mouth:

Or 15th century artificial insemination

2 Likes