The massive graphic downgrade is real. And here is proof (with screenshot)

The game has been massivly downgraded. Now White it dosn’t look so bad, but it’s miles away from the beta Version and what has been advertised. The forests have been cutted down heavily. In beta there was that amazing feel of realism. Those “real forests” have been adverticed fo years and have also been the most unique part of KCD. Never before there have been any forests as real as in the beta versin. and it was awesome. “Was” sadly. Such a pleasure and epic Feeling in the Woods, something totally missing in the release Version. Forests are just the typical standart you’ll see in any other game. And its a shame.

I think it has been a huge mistake by WH to cut everything down that drastically, even if Deep Silver forced them to do so (what is very likely). It has been a huge mistake. The reason is simple; Free Advertising for years. Everyone would have used it for benchmarking and stuff. It would have been the holy grail for gameing in general. People would even go and buy new Hardware to get more out of it. They game would have stayed in Gamers minds for the next 10 years or so. (Like crysis did once) It would frequently sell. and the Warhorse Devs would have been praised as god among men. Now with this Version, its nice but not special. Surly it will be forgotten a year.

And all this has nothing to do with elitism or anything, it would be fine, if the High Settings look like the do now, if the Ultra Settings would match up with the look of the beta. Its espacially a shame, since the Objects have allready been made and in the last year removed entirely.

I remeber WH words exactly “The PC Version will not be downgraded” But in the end it has been massivly downgraded. And we now got a sloppy port of the console Version of a game, which has been ported from PC to console first. What a shame
And again, Im not against console ports or low graphic Setting. Im against removing stuff!

Since most People seam to struggle with the difference between optimisation and downgrading, heres a quick sum up:

Optimisation:
Changing software to run better by optimizing source code with smarter (faster) algorithms.
Optimizing the AI and calculations of all sorts with better programming (Algorithms again). Fixing errors by rewriting code, aso. Optimization of textures to run faster in GPUs. Such as using a multiple of 4x4 in size, same dds formats.
Reworking 3d models by getting rid of unused Vertices (Theres a limit to what the human eye can see, you dont need 1 million verts per inch…)

Downgrading:
Removing objects
cutting content
Deleting Stuff in general
Removing shaders and
Removing lightning (of course replaced by an other)

In other words optimisation is hard, very hard work and modern engines like cryengine, unreal, aso. are allready pretty well optimised, so theres a limit. Downgrading, goes fast and is no hard work mostly. (In case of KCD it might was, since forests seam to be recreated with much less detail completely)

List of downgradse: (Theres more)

• Object density in forests
  • No moere “real forests”
  • Foliage objects with much less detail (Trees, Grass)
  • Vergetation density
  • Lighning (Voxel based GI removed)
  • Texture quality
  • LODs are in very low quality
  • Weathersystem and dynamic wather removed.
  • volumetric clouds removed (Sun shine during rain)
  • Manny removed assets such as bushes, fern, rocks and more (Completely removed)

Now take a look at the screenshots and tell me there has not been a massive downgrade.

Some more Pictures by R4Z3R:

25 Likes

I agree with you. The texture pop in is seriously starting to annoy the fuck out of me. Even the lighting at night looks like its been nerfed. I love the game and all the mechanics in it. But the QA department fucked up big time.

7 Likes
  • Complain about performance
  • Complain about graphics downgrade

Pick one…

23 Likes

Or you can help the game to spread. Make WH budget to grow and wait for a better game, cus developers will have money to make everything. I’ve already passed the game and felt, that if money and time i would have more things. Money matters as the time. This option is better. :smirk:

4 Likes

What are you talking about? The game looks incredible on PC compared to consoles; enough of this PC elitism and “consoles ruin everything” BS…

They had to cut down a lot from the beta, such as the density of the foliage, for performance sake… not because “consoles are evil and bring PC elitists down”

12 Likes

100% those off us who played beta were terrified about what the final result would be and have been pleasantly surprised the the performance and visual bugs have not been as common or as bad as it is being reported on consoles.

There was no “downgrade” there was a reduction for the sake of functionality across the board.

11 Likes

Just look at this beauty. Where’s it worse?

If to talk about distance, foliage and etc… Does it really matter? Do we need more? Isn’t it enough like that& I guess, it’s enough. Other thing does matter more. If they want, they might do an independent forest simulator with hunting, but in other stuff it will eat a lot of performance.

P.S sorry, pics are mine, but made from steam, so the quality a bit… There’s better nothing to say.

7 Likes

The beta is way better. Just walk through a forest in the beta if you have it and compare to what we have now upon release. There has been an substantial downgrade since the last beta version as far as graphic fidelity. The full release runs faster and smoother, but obviously because of the graphics downrade.

Also IMO the price tag should be $30USD.

EDIT: In all fairness I wish to say that I was wrong about the value of KC:D. The amount of content in this title is very abundant and deep. The technical condition of the game notwithstanding :wink:

3 Likes

For me as long as everything in front of me looks amazing I’m happy, and it does, SSD gets rid of texture pop in caused by slower HDD, also eliminates loading screens during conversations, I just get a breif black screen where as before got the loading symbol.

I’d much prefer they did this than release a unoptimised pos. You’d soon be winging about performance I bet.

2 Likes

I don’t know, i’ve finished the game already and had only one bug with script in one mission, but at the end of the game, so… I’ve no problems with performance. Maybe, only that the game eats 20% of my 8700k even with stream on, but who knows what the hell is that.

1 Like

IT IS UNOPTIMIZED!
WTF are you talking about.

It does need improving but can you imagine how it would of been if they didn’t downgrade ? Unplayable. That’s the reason they downgraded obviously.

Oh and trust me console gamers have it much worse, check out patch 1.03 downgrade threads. Pc version looks pretty great but I never played beta

2 Likes

look at this grafik in the video. and look at the real grafik in the game. wtf…:frowning:

I played the beta version and remember that the graphics were much better. Please return beautiful graphics with detailed forest, volumetric lighting and thick grass for powerful computers, as it was in the beta version. Is it possible to do in mods? Which files are responsible for fog and lighting? Look at the screenshots of the beta version as beautiful.

4 Likes

Volumetric fig has probably been disabled because it has a huge performance impact, but it’s still implemented and can be activated with a command line (https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/19). I’d wait for the game to be more optimized though because acivating volumetric fog with general settings under High isn’t worth the trade off and you’d still end up with worse framerate than at Ultra.

1 Like

there are plenty of places that were in BOTH the beta and release version where you could have taken screenshots from looking at the SAME panorama, but NO you could not manage that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yeah, and i bet you bought the Witcher 3 and Skyrim for 60 bucks despite horrible launches riddled with bugs and performance issues, and in the Witchers case a significant graphical downgrade that the developers lied about till launch.

Game based on the amount of content is EASILY worth 60 dollars

Forests from the beta look virtually the same.

2 Likes

I think this is an overreaction and I say this as a PCMasterrace guy. I was an Alpha tester and the very first Alpha ran smooth with crazy foliage BUT the first Alpha was very limited. There was no where as many NPCs p
or multiple textures. When you have a tech demo, you will generally have variations of how graphics look due to lighting and limited textures mean more high res stock since the VRAM on video card is processing less.

By the time the new Alpha came out with combat, there were already significant changes in lighting but while some things looked great, a lot of things were awful and still being worked on like motion capture for faces or interior of homes and plus limited map size.

I really do not believe WH downgraded anything, the game runs fine on my i5 3570k processor with gtx 970 card on ultra. The only areas i notice some muddy textures are areas like some random hidden wall of a castle that no one is gonna go up to and stare at while complaining its downgraded. Many things look stunning and better imo and foliage or view distance is also dependent on the weather conditions. Even Beta looked the same with the foliage cranked up if the lighting orientation and contrast was jacked up with no fog to hide anything.

Consoles clearly look graphically less to PC. The consoles got the port not PC.

Also I have no texture pop in and I use a SSD.

Beta performance was not good even on highest end systems, optimization wise even majority high end systems were struggling with FPS. I remember being advised first alpha to turn off physics due to performance issues, it was a known issue due to too many butterflys and stuff causing stuttering issues at the time.

2 Likes

Later I will make a comparison of beta version 2016 and release 2018 from the same place and you will see the difference.

1 Like

In terms of amount of foliage, and grass thickness it’s the same. Not saying textures weren’t higher, but it’s not extremely noticeable.