Videoupdate #16 - Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat

Crossbows really don’t seem that different to normal bows to me. Sure, there’s some extra animation, but the actual weapon should behave much the same as a regular bow from the programming and game’s point of view.

1 Like

Crossbows really don’t seem that different to normal bows to me

Think of crossbows like shotguns with worse recoil and the English longbow a rifle with a powder dish instead of a bolt-action. (if you’re wondering why such a shitty modern comparison, it’s because both crossbows and bows need training to properly be effective while saying crossbow=shotgun, longbow=rifle would be unfair) Crossbows at a distance, like a shotgun, are crap (unless it’s been modified for longer ranges), while a longbow/rifle are great at long ranges, but up close it’s not that good unless you’re Legolas or are REALLY fast at reloading/placing a shaft on the string, plus a crossbow was made to pierce armor while a bow, likewise, was made to pierce armor, but a crossbow bolt has like three or four variations while a longbow shaft has near a dozen different times of arrow heads, so with a crossbow it’s point-and-shoot (shotgun) while a bow is more precision (rifle)

Crossbows were extremely plentiful in the area at the time. Castle armories were quite full of them. This is why the Hussite warriors later had large number of crossbows and firearms - both were extremely effective against armored knights.[quote=“Aradiel, post:42, topic:30454, full:true”]
Crossbows really don’t seem that different to normal bows to me. Sure, there’s some extra animation, but the actual weapon should behave much the same as a regular bow from the programming and game’s point of view.
[/quote]

Crossbows shoot bolts, bows shoot arrows.

Generally, crossbow bolts are much faster and with much higher penetration. It would be an ultimate weapon against armored opponent on short-medium distance (unlike bow), and that is why they probably don’t want them in the game.

I found no proof or study that crossbows were that plentiful at the time before the war.
It is documented that the bow was really popular and people often shoot for fun and it has to be forbidden in the Prague.
It seems probable to me though.

I read in one interview that they want English longbow in the game, which has similar penetration so I don’t think it is the reason. Rather they’ve decided not to have two similar ranged weapons.

To be clear, I am well aware of the aerodynamic, speed, size and weight differences, as well as the arc and behavior in flight of arrows and bolts.

What I said was, as far as the game is concerned, I don’t think crossbows would need to behave any differently to standard bows. Change the animations. Remove the aiming shake and stamina drain. Make crossbows take longer to reload. Done.

1 Like

So you don’t believe the above mentioned variables will change the way the two are implemented considering the entire combat system is based on dynamic physics?

There are many variables its really not as simple as “changing animations” do not forget the level of mo-capping being done.

If it were as simple as stated it would be implemented no questions asked. :wink:

I don’t think they need to be, no. I would hardly consider the current system to be truly accurate and representative of how bows are used.

Just give them a slightly higher base damage value. Not that it would matter, bows can already one shot most people.

There are videos of them from years ago where they were mocapping the reload animations of the crossbow.

I’m just saying it could be. It doesn’t need to be overly complicated. Some months ago I also mentioned that horse archery could be as simple as being used on the horse. Same deal. Needs some horse animations, and a little programming to allow it, but not that difficult. I had some people saying it wasn’t that simple then either… And yet now it is that simple.

2 Likes

From whole development cycle in KCD its quite clear that Warhorse has simple mantra: If we can´t do it properly, we won´t do it at all.
They probably don´t have time to do it properly, so… yeah.

7 Likes

I got a feeling they may slip a few things in last minute or shortly after release, but for the sake of saving graces have to call it a no go until its 100%.

Anything is possible.

At this stage I’m not expecting them to add crossbows. I just don’t think it needs to be as complicated to add them as some people think it is.

1 Like

X-bows from the Kickstarter!

They planned them for the game. But they are to strong, and the game would not be balanced.
X-bows have nearly no cons. You don´t have to be strong, trained or dead on target. They are one shot kills.
The only con is the time to reload.

1 Like

Also, their range is lower than bows, and the damage and penetration power, even at medium ranges, drops off pretty quickly.

1 Like

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense…
For balancing sake, I guess that storing your crossbow loaded probably isn´t really possible so that could be some way to balance that, but I can see lot of reasons why not to bother. I am just so happy we have polearms, that nothing else really matters to me now :smiley:

2 Likes

They could balance crossbows with cons like the knockback it makes to the user.

How is that balancing anything? After you have fired, one enemy is probably dead, in that moment you are either victorious, or drawing your sword to fight the others, so knockback is really no drawback at all…

1 Like

There really is not all that much knockback though. Care to elaborate on what you meant?

Time stamp not working Shot fired around 2:30

1 Like

I mean making it morw difficcult to shot. Like when you fire a shotgun if you dont hold the weapon strong it aims up when you shot.

Also, they could waste a lot of stamina when shot or be hard to found or craft.

Watch the video posted above, or any other video of a crossbow being fired there is no kickback even remotely close to that of a shotgun.

The man in the video is probably a professional or a lot of practice guy. But the game could differ a bit in other to be morw fun.

You could watch videos all day on crossbows and never find one with the level of kickback you are imagining.

Lots of shots made in this video, and even a good break down of the pros and cons of crossbows.

1 Like