Videoupdate #16 - Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat

Realism is a main goal here.

1 Like

The main drawback is the reload time, and the fact you have to be standing still when you reload.

2 Likes

Yes, and I appreciate realism. But the game could differ a little from reality in order to be more fun, and, is it very realistic to not have in the game one of the more common weapons in the age?

If the game tried to be extremely realistic maybe it would have a key for moving the upper part of the leg, then the lower, in both legs… only to walk. But it is realistic! But not fun.

Yes, but a pro is, someone else could do it (if you have two crossbows). And you can hide nearly complete behind a wall/cover and fire. You can stablize your shaking, by putting the X-bow on a stake/wall.
The longe range of a bow is important but not everything. By shooting a bow you are often uncovered.
You can load a X-bow and wait 10 minutes. Before you shoot an arrow with a bow you must draw the bow (with much power!), and you can only hold some seconds.

1 Like

For the purposes of the game, not being able to reload on horseback, and having to reload while standing still are balance enough.

Sure, you could have a loader and a shooter, or you can have two shooters. There is no real advantage to having a separate loader, unless they were a terrible shot. You’d also be able to fire far more arrows with bows. If you have a wall to steady the crossbow, you have that same wall to hide behind as you fire arrows.

1 Like

Well, the game takes about dozen years before Hussite revolution.

There were several weapons that allowed Hussites’ success:

• wagon fort, which made cavalry charges useless
  • weapons, that allowed Hussites outreach attacking soldiers, which were most notably:
    – firearms
    – crossbows
    – improvised weapons made from farming equipment

We know from historical sources that large part of Hussite’s weapons were stole from castle caches. We also know that particularly women and children soldiers were using crossbows (very efficiently and to great anger of professional catholic soldiers to whom death by such a foe didn’t seem to bring much pride).

Without spending hours looking for a particular source to match the claim about 1403 Bohemia being quite full of crossbows, I think that the case is quite strong.

Scrapping firearms is already extremely against historical accuracy, but no crossbows just make “historically accurate” claim complete nonsense.

I think it is rather a game BALANCE issue… Bows are already ultimate weapon IF you master the aiming etc. Shooting with crossbows is just too easy from the start.

1 Like

And when those crossbows stolen from castles were made?
Was it evolution or revolution? Isn’t it possible that the crossbow became popular as a result of events that take place in KCD?

To me, it is still unclear. As I said, I incline to agree but I’m not sure it was already that common weapon as later during the war.

It does not. Far from that. Just absence of crossbows or firearms doesn’t negate all the other stuff.

Well, it is kind of like making a game about WW1 and completely omitting artillery.

2 Likes

Oh. Those examples never work.
I could argue that it is like making game about WW1 without Tiger tanks.

*edit: Battlefield 1 doesn’t have Tiger tanks, right?

WW1 without Tiger tanks.

The Tiger tank was produced in 1942. WWI was fought 1914-1918.

Gunpowder weapons were used against the Muslims in around the 13th century via large tubes (cannons). Kingdom Come: Deliverance takes place in 1403. We would at least see one, albeit from a distance as they were known to explode.

Crossbows were introduced by William the Conqueror in 1066. They were also known to be used in China around 600BCE. Kingdom Come: Deliverance takes place in 1403. We would see crossbows, though not as commonly as if it were in France.

Your argument is folly mate.

2 Likes

No it is not.

Even though there were guns long before Tiger, even 88 mm guns before Tiger, tanks before Tiger… etc. Doesn’t mean there was the Tiger tank in Germany before WW2.

Or that crossbow were that common in before the Husssite Wars, specifically in 1403, in Czech.Mate.

PS: I do want crossbow just to be clear. I would rather it than English Warbow or flail and similar. But argument that it was so crucial that the entire accuracy is thrown out of the window is wrong.

2 Likes

This video update really had some great moments!

12 Likes

I see you saw my logic and decided to bring in stupid.

1 Like

Your logic was that in 1403 crossbow was to Bohemia what artillery was to WW1.

I did not need to bring anything. I just wanted to point out meaningless of those comparison.

No, that is what you read into it.

I said that lacking crossbow in a game about 1403 Bohemia is like lacking artillery in WW1. I aimed at the fact that while in 1403 game from the perspective of a soldier most of the fighting involved cold steel man on man combat, large part of troops fell to arrow and bolt fire (with bolts being much more effective against armor than arrows). Similarly in WW1 from a perspective of a soldier most of the fighting involved shooting firearms, nevertheless large part of troops fell to artillery fire.

Lacking this angle in a game makes for a very different tactical/strategical approach, which makes it ahistorical

1 Like

75% of all casualties in the Great war were caused by Artillery, i’d have to see some evidence to make me believe crossbows were responsible for two thirds of the casualties in this time period.

Most soliders would have been armed with polearms, and if I’m not mistaken the main use of a crossbow was in sieges, not in an open battle where they would have been far less effective than a bow. If it came down to crossbows or pole arms, i’d say polearms would be more accurate to have in.

1 Like

I dont understand why WH takes so much time to make realistic face expressions (which are good! But not that necesary) and dont put things like crossbows or blacksmithing.

I like them! But I see more relevant and necessary other things…

1 Like

Animations aren’t exactly on the same level as creating entire systems. Pretty sure they’re different teams as well, I don’t think animations taking too long was holding back blacksmithing.

1 Like

I can understand what you are saying, but on another point of view, I found it really cool to have that great facial animations, it drasticly improves player’s immersion in my opinion. The same goes for good looking animations.

1 Like