Voice actors... Who's voice do you want to hear in the game?

Unfortunately, the developer can’t use the original languages (maybe in a mod later?) because the game is catered to an international audience but letting the characters speak in Scots, Welsh, Gaelic or accents thereof would destroy the immersion of the game because this isn’t set in England or Britain! No silly cockney accents or something similar either!
Also, it should be avoided to give them East European accents.
You have to think of it as if they were speaking in their respective language. Czech people don’t speak Czech with an Czech accent and Germans don’t speak German with a German accent. So, there hasn’t to be put an accent on top of it. That’s a stupid method used by Hollywood for movies aimed at ignorant Americans who don’t care for the rest of the world. ‘Oh, he’s speaking English with a thick Russian accent, he must be from Russia.’ You get the idea. :wink:

Plain Shakespearean English would be the best way to go, I think.

PS: In the German version they could use Middle High German (Mittelhochdeutsch) or Early New High German (Frühneuhochdeutsch) that would be cool. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, this is just the sort of thing I’m talking about.

I want Henry to be Henry - I don’t want to be able to recognise his voice actor (same goes for the other characters).

Are we really so starved of decent talent that all that’s left are the big stars? - I don’t think so.

3 Likes

Its really doesn’t matter if the acters voice is famouse or not. The only thing matters is that the voice must be charismatic.
maybe later you will be able to put here some nameless voice samples to let people choose the best ones

@destyl​01

It matters to me as IMO it confuses and weakens the personality of the character.

Am sure there are plenty of unrecognisable actors that can pull of a charismatic voice very well (+ maybe Henry should not always be charismatic, depending on the player’s choices, no?).

If they’re paying big bucks for a well know actor chances are they’ll want them to sound as they do in their usual stereotyped role - That’s exactly what I don’t want to hear.

2 Likes

I would suggest Nikolas Lloyd. He’s cool, he’s british, and we all know him from his Youtube channel.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents: small budget game project such as this should not waste its money on actors. Just find some people who can do the job well enough without sounding like complete amateurs.

1 Like

Karel Roden for the bad guy! :wink:

1 Like

Brian Blessed’s voice would be great for an innkeeper! It would be a good voice for just about anything

1 Like

Someone unknown, eh?
How about Murphy Guyer? Grim but strong voice.
Not many examples but I found one poem read by him.

Mads Mikkelsen’s voice (cf link below) and it’s charism could suit perfectly to any importante character (King, knight, etc. :wink:

http://goo.gl/MkHmxV

The way they do it in the TV-series Rome is that everyone speak in different british accents to reflect their social class. Is anyone questioning why everyone is speaking british english in the Roman empire in that series? I don’t think so. So why can’t this game do the same? Why do people want everyone to be voiced in some old and forgotten version of czech or German that no one can really speak, or english with czech and german accents? I think it would be best if the english version had peasants speaking in some cruder form of british english and the nobles to speak posher english, and in the dubbed versions in german and czech and whatever languages, the voice actors do the same there - peasants speak a cruder czech and nobles speak a posher czech. Everyone’s happy!

1 Like

who wouldn’t want this? :wink:

[quote=“Treysceusec, post:71, topic:5622”]
What?[/quote]
What I was trying to convey was that, for example, a Czech guy’s native language isn’t English with an Czech accent rather just Czech.

As I explained. just plain English for all characters because you won’t think about it that much. But as soon as you add accents from various English speaking territories or accents in general it would make you suspicious upon hearing someone suddenly speaking differently because it feels out of place. More so if said accent is associated with ‘funny sounding’ (just an example) and the character using it tries to tell you something in a serious fashion.

Or another example, all villagers in the game are speaking with a Scotish accent. This also would make it too apparent.
You’d wonder, why the heck does this Bohemian guy who gave me the quest is speaking with a Scotish accent in an environment where a British isle is nowhere to be seen?
It would be a total immersion breaker.

So, therefore no accents at all! Just plain English, plain Shakespearean English because of the period.

You can make people distinguishable from each other by using certain vocabulary. That’s how it works in reality because your vocabulary reflects your education. I think, the differences in classes should be portrayed via vocabulary/enunciation and behavior as in reality.

These are not old and forgotten versions of languages. They are well documented, that’s why we know about them. Feel free to look up the terms I mentioned. You could even learn Old English if you like but that’s too old for this game. So, I recommended Shakespearean English because that’s much closer to the period depicted in the game. And I didn’t say I want English with Czech or German accent, quite the opposite because that’s the worst thing you could do as described above in my previous post.

As for the voice actors:
Celebrities are not necessary to do a good dubbing, they just cost money which could be spend otherwise.

1 Like

Ok, then only the most common English accent for our Shakespearean English. :wink: And of course, as I said before, class dfference is shown in enunciation and behavior. :slight_smile: A peasant’s vocabulary should be rather limited whereas a nobleman is educated, can read and of course he want to show it.

My first choice would be Michael Gough, who did the voice of Deckard Caine in all three Diablos. Unfortunately, humans come with an expiration date and we’re too late. How about Steve Blum? Technically speaking, it’s not a game unless Steve Blum is in it. The chick vote goes to Lake Bell. If you have to ask, I can’t explain it. Also, she’s probably affordable.

I’d like to hear Charles Martinet (Voice for paarthurnax in TES 5) as some priest or maybe a monk or something.

1 Like

Why is everyone naming screenplay actors? How about some people that got actual experience in voice acting? Like Mark Hamill or Adam Harrington?

1 Like

Sorry, english is not my first language, but with “crude” I meant it sounding opposite to “posh”. I don’t really know what the different accents are called in the UK, but even today you can distinguish people from their language. The people of lower class, in whatever language, always speak a bit of a funny/weird sounding accent with lots of slang and less of the less of the more “educated” words. That’s what I meant with “crude”, it doesn’t sound like you have a PhD in anything. Sure, you can have a “low class” accent and still be a politician or whatever, and also be a walking dictionary.

I’m not proposing peasants will speak with a cockney accent, though… but as we’ve all seen (heard) in the trailer, that nobleman who sets you out on a quest speaks with a very posh-sounding accent. (“take as many men as you need, and bring me their heads”) Did they really speak like that way back, the noblemen? Again, I took the TV series Rome as an example, because the gladiators, the guys playing dice, the common soldiery - they don’t speak as “fine” english as say Vorenus or Caesar or the other higher-ups. Everyone in the Roman empire spoke british english, and they spoke in different british accents to distinguish their social class. No one seem to mind that, and that was my argument for this game, that they do the same.

Either that, or they do the shakespearian english. It’d be nice to see a game where they speak english with german/scandinavian grammar rules and made-up words. Well, all words are made up, but Shakespeare made up a lot of his own. Chivalry uses a lot of Shakespeare for their insult voice commands and such. Although Shakespeare english isn’t exactly what people spoke around 1403, but I guess that doesn’t matter. Oh and to Cerberus, sure people know how to write and read all the old languages from hundreds or a thousand years ago, but do people really know how to speak it? I mean, apart from a few dedicated historians? Shall all the dozens of voice actors have to go some school to learn some old, out-of-use language? Like if there was to be a game where people spoke old english, which is believed to have sounded more german/scandinavian than what we know as english today, no one would understand a thing. Barely even the writers would.

1 Like

Brian Blessed and Stephen Fry would be awesome!

I would personally cast my vote against Shakespearian english. I find it had to follow and it would damage my own immersion. I don’t see the problem with using the same system outlined by Savage Beatings further up the thread. Nobles speaking The Queen’s English while commoners speak with a southern working class accent, lots of dropped 't’s. Since the game space is a small area I doubt WH need to be too worried about regional accents.

Stephen Fry would be neat, and he would probably do it if he was asked.
Simon Templeman would be a great voice to hear.

1 Like