Voice actors... Who's voice do you want to hear in the game?

Sean Bean would be awesome!
And not only voice-overs, but a whole character based and looking like him. We got the stretch goal about performance capture so we could expect this I hope. I just wish if Warhorse manage to get him, they should put a central role on him so we all can enjoy his talent.
For all other actor suggestion, IMHO every Game of Thrones actor would suit perfectly in this game.

Just rolled in to drop more support for Patrick Stewart and then roll out again.

no Vladimir Kulich anyone?
or Christopher Heyerdahl

1 Like

@Jlyga_u_onacHa

Sean Bean would be awesome!
And not only voice-overs, but a whole character based and looking like him.

This is exactly what I don’t want to see!

I don’t understand why people want this kind of ‘celebrity spotting’ going on in a game where immersion is supposed to be paramount.

Do you not feel that ‘it’s Sean Bean, looking like himself and playing in his usual role’ would be a total immersion breaker and completely detract from whatever personality the original character was meant to have (as he has now become Sean Bean)? Or do you simply not care about the lack of immersion because “Hey, it’s Sean Bean! Cool!” and “Quit you’re whining RGS; it’s only a game.” - I’m not raging BTW, just interested as to the thought process as it appears to be the opposite of what I’m after.

Maybe I take my gaming more seriously than most, but I just don’t get the ‘celebrity spotting’ mentality.

I’m concerned that people seem to be more exited about spotting their favourite stars as opposed to getting great voice actors who can create interesting, believable and unique characters. I’d love to have great actors in the game, of course, but I want to see their talents used to actually ‘act,’ rather than just ‘roll over’ their in-game characters with their own overused typecast personalities and appearances. That to me is immersion breaking and also somewhat boring.

I don’t have a celebrity syndrome, maybe others have it, but I do not.
What I feel is that there in no better choice of Sean Bean for playing a Medieval character. He has proven it many times in many movies. Why not in this game as well?
In Game of Thrones I depict Sean Bean as Ned Stark, not Sean Bean. What will be the difference here?

**Speak into the mic, b*tch! ** :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Christopher Lee. I love his Saruman voice.

I haven’t seen GoT yet (though it’s on my list), but I felt he did a good job as Boromir in LotR so I don’t have a problem with Sean Bean as an actor at all. However you do say you’d like “a whole character based and looking like him,” which to me implies that the character ‘Sean Bean’ is more important than who ever he’s playing. Though you suggest the creation of a new character just for this purpose, you later say “he should have a central role” - Thus the character would become him (or an amalgamation of his previous roles), rather than the other way round, no?

Sure, this is the same case with movies/TV series too, which I also dislike, though difficult to avoid. One of my favourite shows is ‘The Wire.’ When I watched it the first time I hadn’t really seen any of the actors in anything else (or they were in different enough roles not to be distracting to me). Those actors have now become the characters they played. When at a later date I saw ‘The Corner,’ which used some of the same actors but in different roles, I found it very distracting. If they were playing totally different characters it took a while for me to overcome their original role; if they were in a similar role then it just muddled the two characters. Either way choosing another actor entirely would have been the better decision (I think that ‘The Corner’ was kind of a pilot for ‘The Wire,’ so I’m not really complaining in this instance. Just an example and probably not the best one!).

One big advantage a game has over a film is that the actors don’t have to look the same as they do in real life (there’s only so much makeup and hairstyles can do after all), but it seems that people actually want ‘their stars’ to look like themselves. I’m not sure how much the performance motion capture is tied to the appearance, but if not completely I think that the actor behind the character should be hidden as best as possible, not the other way around. That way we can have the pure talent without the direction connection to the actor + all the baggage that that entails.

I also think that script and direction are massively important - How often have you seen someone you believed to be a good actor giving a duff performance (too often IMO) or an ‘unknown’ doing a superb job?

1 Like

Is like sean bean hes always cool and jhon cleese

Sean Bean - main character
Ron Pearlman - friend/companion of main character or any kind of badass character
Vladimir Kulich - character of authority, high ranked noble or knight, possibly even king
Viggo Mortensen - any character
Gerard Butler - any badass character
Russel Crowe - any character
Christopher Lee - any character
John Cleese - stuck up noble or jester/silly character

That would make a great (but expensive) game imo ^^

1 Like

Sean bean and Jeremy irons would be my choices o and Brian blessed!

1 Like

Morgan Freeman cast as arab trader, devs realise he is Morgan Freeman and cast him as every character, game wins every award (including ones not for video games), all devs stop production of their games as they realise gaming has peaked.

2 Likes

Meh. I simply don’t care about them names.

The only argument for a good voice fitting might a 
 well it must fit the character to which it is assigned to.
Some of you would be stunned by the acting and voice of some unknown theatre actor/actress, whilst some of the msot famous ones left me unaffected when they should affect the listener/viewer.

Nowadays most “acting” is torn down to some close-up shots by the camera with some nifty tear-thing dripping into oblivion. Maybe it’s just me who likes the “old ways” of acting. Look at the movies of the '20th and '30th up to early '50th. Thus is acting
 not just the face but the whole body is used as an expression. And so is the voice. Theatre actors are have to well-trained in their voice, I guess you know that.

So
 think about all the names of some famous
 It should be not the name taht fits
 the acting and voice should fit
 :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Komatanz

Dan Vávra? Hlavní tvoƙitel hry?

1 Like

Stephen Russell
something thief-ish on the side, like Mercer Frey in Skyrim, that would be pure awesomeness!

1 Like

But the main character is a young man
 Sean Bean is 54.

I love the voices of Benedict Cumberbatch and Christopher Lee. Allthough @Komatanz is right, it should be the acting and voice that fits to the char, not the name.

Famous actors cost serious cash to get, with a smaller budget the Dev team would be wise to stay with relative unknown voice actors. As long as they have some experience with voice acting, an authentic sounding cast should be easy to get together without spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a big name like Sean Bean or Patrick Stewart. Besides, recognizing famous actors can break the immersion anyway.

2 Likes

@Treysceusec sorry that this is a little off-topic to the main thread, but it is relevant because there seems to be an awful lot of confusion regarding british accents and the differences between them in general amongst some users in the forum (though to be fair though if you’ve never lived or spent time in the UK, chances are you knowing about accent diversity in the UK would be limited to what you’d heard on telly)

I also think it’d be useful for the Devs, so when they choose voice actors they have an idea of what sounds hammy and wrong and what should sound alright in the finished product (because believe me, nothing is more off-putting than hearing a put-on, badly imitated accent that sounds nothing like the real thing)

Here’s a good video regarding Cornwallian accents (most used for when you want a rustic, rural-sounding accent like a farmer, or if you want to sound like a stereotypical pirate)

Dorset accent (starts at 0:20)

Somerset accent (don’t worry I can’t really understand it either, I don’t think outside of Somerset itself can)

All three are West Country accents and are strongly associated with farmers, fisherman and general rural folk, but they’re all pretty different if you listen and they all have different manners of speaking.

Also there’s this guy who pretty much covers most accents really well and their differences in the british isles:

1 Like

I was hoping someone would mention Brian Blessed. He was my first pick. :smiley:

1 Like