Warhorse Studios Makes A New Game: What would you want it to be?

this is where i wish historically rooted games had DLC that enabled sandbox play with historically-based assets but in made up (fictional) ways/scenarios

Iā€™m only peripherally familiar w/ that event.
Iā€™m sure there is plenty there to mine as well, as well as at Vienna 1529, or Constantinople 1453. Or at any one of hundreds of other historical occasions.
I like one of your earlier suggestions on the Thirty Years War. Ever seen the movie ā€œThe Last Valleyā€? Highly recommended.
I do willfully admit Iā€™m a bit obsessed w/ The Great Siege of Malta, having read 7 textbooks and 2 novels set during that horror. And planning a trip from US to Malta in 2020.

I recommend the movie ā€œAndrei Rublevā€ from the upcoming Criterion blu-ray in the 205 minutes original final cut as one of the best and most accurate medieval movies.

I want the next Kingdom Come not playing in the summer. I would like the autumn, where trees are yellow and brown and where the days are more cloudy and rainy.

I would like to continue from the same developers, with new developments and an even larger and more elaborate map, history, improved graphics and in the same geographical latitude, I like this nature. This studio has its own style and attention to detail, Daniel Wavra makes games with the soul. (Google translate) :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yuck, no, I do not want any other weak time periods. Iā€™m here for the medieval immersion. Stick to what they know.
Earlier medieval times if anything for me, not later. I donā€™t want guns. Give me more Kingdom Come. I really just want Henryā€™s story to finish but iā€™ll take a viking or early medieval European game.

4 Likes

Yes Warhorse Studios should defenetly stay in medieval ages, since there is still so MASSIVE potential on gaming. In movies its a bit used, but in games its so different, when you can experience it by yourself. Ancient greek or Rome are few examples, wich has noone of the very realistic games.

What ever Warhorse makes, please NO FANTASY CRAP. PC has million games wisch has magic and unnatural shit, and me and many mores donā€™t like that. Rational games ftw.

Btw, is it true that Warhorse studios were pretty close to broke when they finnished KCD? Well atleast game sold ok, so they got a lot of resources back, yet its hard to imagine that this game made profit for every company that was included in process.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll stick with WH whatever they do they won my heart with KCD. Game is a masterpiece but since on the subject for sure the realistic medieval type game is of my liking as well. Whatever it is Iā€™m waiting in line to buy it.

1 Like

Something along the lines of this(this book description describes it better than I can) : https://www.keithfarrell.net/shop/legends-black-watch/

"Ten years after the 1715 Jacobite uprising, General Wade came to the Highlands with the mission to pacify the clans and uphold the law. On the command of King George I, he raised six independent Highland Companies, which were known as the ā€œBlack Watchā€ or ā€œReicudan Dhuā€. Within half a century of its inception, the regiment had become well-known and respected for its bravery and skill at arms, and there were many stories of their valiant efforts in battle.

Legends of the Black Watch , first published in 1859, recounts such stories vividly. The tales within this book show the bravery, leadership, and martial skill with which the soldiers and officers of the Black Watch faced their foes with musket and broadsword, as they fought throughout Europe and North America in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The stories serve not only as a record of the legends of the regiment, but also show the mindset and beliefs of the Scottish people during this time period."

Just replace saviour schnapps with Scotch, The longsword for a broadsword, the bow for a musket and the heater shield for a targe or buckler.

The Scotts had dueling, wars, tournaments, beautiful scenery and overall have just a fascinating rich history. They even have fight books lol

Medieval can never go wrong with medieval

1 Like

Well to put an end to Henrys story 1st in a new dlc. Perhaps after a couple more dlcs one extending from the ashes. I think a KCD2 would be awesome with maybe Henrys son. One he had with Theresa or something. A role playing just like KCD but during the Hussite wars. The time Henrys son would be of age fits perfectly during the Hussite wars time frame and the possibilities are endless. Though I would like to see a title such as a high ranking knight be given (earned)

Dark medieval with black plague and burning witches. Not flowers, sun and blue sky everywhere.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
I donā€™t like those huge maps sandbox rpgs all that muchā€¦ It usually turns the game the worse way, and it every time loses lot of its personalityā€¦ Just look how Gothic series panned out since they tried to make big open world instead of semiopen medium sized detailed areaā€¦ And there can be found much more of such examplesā€¦ distance between US cities

Mr. Dan Vavra is a Czech patriot, he loves his nation history thatā€™s why KCD is such a masterpieceā€¦ Iā€™m pretty sure they should do what they are perfect in, and donā€™t try to fix what ainā€™t broken. I would like to see KCD 2,3,4ā€¦ built into the more detailed and wider game with more options and ways the main character can follow.
Anyway, if there is one game I would like to play, then itā€™s being a soldier of Czechoslovakia army, during Munich dictate 1938 crisis, defending Sudetenland against Hitlerā€™s Nazisā€¦

Purposeless game it would have been. A shootout for an hour or two and then - surrender under the orders of high command.

I think, Hussite wars have a great potential - still Czech stuff, and pretty important one. Still, what Iā€™d like more is some other game engine to have - literally ANYTHING other than Cryengine.

Big interview with Tobi from Gamescom about the development. He sais that Cryengine will not be changed, they modified it heavily and developed all the tools for this engine. Changing the engine would mean to start from the beginning.

Really donā€™t care what engine WH uses. Just want the next WH effort to deliver on more Kickstarter goals

Why? Are you some game engine expert?

1 Like

Well, itā€™s been hashed out a lot in the past, and even more recently in the interview above (and here: https://www.gamepressure.com/S013-amp.asp?ID=4152), but Cryengine is not the best choice for an Open World RPG. It makes for beautiful foliage, but bogs down in large environments with lots of NPCs. Thatā€™s why flagship games like Crysis were essentially corridor shooters, leading you from one neatly boxed-in arena to the next.

And because they are sticking with it for KC2, they are going to avoid any more large battles, and the map size cannot be expanded. So, no, you wonā€™t be getting Kickstarter goals of ā€œlarge-scale battles, knights charging on horseback, hundreds of combatants, etc.ā€ They had issues with a dozen enemies on the screen dropping framerate.

They could, however, chain together several regions, with loading areas between themā€¦similar to what was done in the Witcher 3. Not a bad solution, honestly. It reduces the load on the engine which makes the game run faster, increases the perceived size of the world to the player, and still reduces the annoyance of loading screens (Skyrim, anyone?).