Will there be ...children?

I think everyone could live with the solution that children are there but cannot be killed. Its much better than having no children at all since there have been almost more children than grown ups in medieval society if I recall it correctly.

It could maybe also be a solution that theres a huge punishment for killing children, like going to jail and get all you things taken or become an outlaw so you will get attacked by guards and anyone else who thinks he’s strong enough.
But whats an even better solution is the thing @Ocin mentioned, that Henry just refuses to harm children. He could chase or annoy them but he wont be able to kill a child.

1 Like

I would also rather unkillable children than none. Just don’t creepify them like Skyrim WH, otherwise there will be MANY killable children mods (I can almost guarantee it). I like the idea of a really harsh punishment for killing children as it makes sense. There is NO justification for killing a child. It sounds like there won’t be kids though. Shame, but maybe it’s for the best.

This rating system is so irritating. I mean, of course that killing children is a terrible thing, but so is killing adults right? It’s not like you are a nice person when you kill an adult… However, it’s not real in either case, it’s just a fiction! So why these huge differences between different kinds of fiction? Now we are in a situation when you can kill literally thousands of people, 90% of games are based on killing people, yet you can’t kill a single children, because it’s inappropriate and immoral! So billions of fictional adults killed in games every day all over the world are completely acceptable, but one killed fictional child and your game is banned. Everyday complete fictional genocide of the whole planet is just a routine, but don’t you dare fictionally harm a child! And while this hypocrisy is happening, todays one of the most favourite book series is A song of Ice and Fire, which is like 5 books about killing and raping children…and anyone can buy it…

I don’t know if it’s possible, but I had an idea that you could bypass these ridiculous limitations by some kind of switch in the options menu. It means that in default it would be “no killing children” and rating agencies would be happy, but there would be option to switch it to the “realistic mode”. Or you could provide some kind of voluntary update from your websites (maybe even unofficial one), so this option wouldn’t be present in the sold games and hence no problem with agencies. I guess it’s not that easy though, mainly because of the game design since both options should work somehow.

2 Likes

i can explain it all day, some people don’t understand the difference, and that’s ok. no need to get philosophical or psychological.

but back on topic, it’s a medieval rpg, not a life or crime simulator. i think it’s a done deal. time and energy is probably better spent on how to design system that prevents people from harming children. call of juarez had a nice system where the player character acknowledges the action: “why would i want to do that?”

3 Likes

Ditto. Though I wonder why it is that bethesda allowed immortal children into their games and then proceeded to make them so annoying that you literally wanted to cut off their heads. You’d imagine that if you beat them enough they’d eventually try to find another town or safe haven to move to problem solved. No more annoying kid in the street and you didn’t have to kill them.

Is this discussion still going on?
Let me ask you a question. How can immortal NPCs destroy the immersion? You won’t notice unless you try to kill them. And why would you do that? What’s the point?
Point is that killing people, children or adults, is wrong. But usually video games will tell you that it is okay to kill them, because they’re bad. They’re attacking, trying to kill you, blow your head off and whatnot. So it’s fine to kill hundreds of thousands NPCs, because the game is putting you in a situation where killing them is not immoral. In my opinion it would be good to have killable children, if there is a fitting situation, or if it is plot relevant.
But seriously?! This is a realistic medieval rpg. Kids won’t attack you. They might try to pickpocket you, but that’s it.

About the moral thing: Yes, there is a good reason why society values the live of a child higher than that of an adult. We want to pass our genes down to further generations. Children are literally our future, that’s why it’s more “frowned” upon killing children than an adult. I’m not arguing that children are “better” humans, because they’re not. Unless a kid is a total unsocial asshole, society is going to protect and support it until it is old enough, because that’s what humans do. Keeping offspring save IS how humans have survived so far.
I could go deeper here, but my post is already pretty long, so I’ll leave it with that.

And even if you’re not convinced by my last statement, it’s not going to help the devs to have their game banned, because some of you want to kill children in video games. Your opinion is irrelevant, society won’t argue with you about that.
I’ll tell you what. There’s going to be a mod, so you can kill whoever you want, if you think that’s what you need.

And last but not least: You can kill innocent adults in this game. That’s a bad thing, but at least they can fight back and kick your sorry ass. Learn to pick someone of your own size.

2 Likes

yeah these are exactly the things I have in mind.
please warhorse, its much much better to have non killable children than having no children at all. And I think 80 or 90% of the community see it like this, not only because a big part of the medieval population have been children.

3 Likes

I think you should just be unable to lock onto children/ unable to hit/swing/shoot at them like some games do with friendly NPCs.

Worry not modders shall find a way modders always find a way…(peeks at skyrim) besides im pretty sure im not the only one that goes on a madden rampage in the videos games and attempt to kill everything i lay eyes on after i complete my first game…(peeks at my mountain of heads in skyrim)

No shanking that child was too merciful… I beheaded him his father the jarl and stuck their heads on the thrones armrests. The guards were of course very very angry.

Edit: if only i could i would have gone all Valad the Impaler on everything.
Saddly i could not.
Please if your going to make children immortal dont make them annoying skyrim children. “You think im afraid of yo…”“slice”“rolls”

i’m not sure how easy modding will be, but even if there’s tools and good support, it’ll probably take some time and effort to do it. so, basically that much effort, however much, in order to beat some children to death in a game, which would probably get old in about 3 seconds.

just some perspective…

@213 it never gets old especially if the children were complete asses or just plain annoying. I have one save file in skyrim where i am directly behind that one little girl who threatened me…
So far i have decapted her countless times, beaten ur brains out with a mace, grab her from behind and did a wrestling move snd slammed her head into the ground. I also used a variety of magic to roast, freeze, drain, and lauch her into the hell she belonged.

skyrims children look annoying and all exactly the same at that, i hate that they can be unremovable witnesses or that you can’t drink from them as a vampire, and it doesn’t feel very immersive when you hit them by accident and they ignore it. But seriously what do I care if the one in Witherun, Mila I think, talks about fighting me. Seeing as they are not a threat they can’t actually threaten you.

maybe for shit like skyrim, that might be fun.

this game is trying to be immerse and realistic, so actions like that would only be detrimental to the experience.

I must disagree, in real life there are insane highly dangerous people who murder many things. In game after i played the storyline i go the whole sandbox rpg with any game i can. One of the first things i role play is a pychopathic manic. I usually end up building a tower of corpses and i would only get bored by the time i run out of corpses for my tower

This is either trolling or you seriously overestimate the number of serial killers due to media and pop-culture over representing it.

1 Like

I have made topics about this on my local gamingforum and it’s one of the last “taboos” in gaming. This and subjects like torture. Before that you could also say sex, but let’s be honest, with some many games having the option now (GTA, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher…) and including the option for heterosexual and homosexual affairs, this taboo is almost gone.

However killing children remains and I personally find this ridiculous. It’s been a very long time since we crossed the line of “what can be done in a game and what not?”. So blowing up an old person so that his body explodes in a million pieces is “Ok” but hurting or wanting to kill a child is “Not done”. People have to understand one very important thing “It’s all virtual, it’s not real and it will never be”. Ofcourse people can replicate what they see in games, but sick minds don’t need inspiration they will find a way for sure.

Does this mean that everything should be possible? No, I don’t say that and it shouldn’t be so. But letting you kill 99% of all humans/monsters/creatures or what not and then saying but you can’t kill children is just stupid. Furthermore people find a way to do it if they really want so (Skyrim Mod for example). Plus in the case of Skyrim it’s even more irritating since they purposely create children that annoy or insult you all the time, knowing you can’t do anything about it. It’s like saying “I know this is going to piss you off, but good luck trying something since it won’t work” and then laughing with an evil grin on your face.

I am no sadistic person, even if it may seem so with this reply, but I really hate people who find something not ok while all other things are “your own choice”. It’s like those people who say “do whatever you want, it’s your choice…but don’t smoke because I don’t like that”. Give people their own way of making a decision I say, as long as they accept the possible consequences that comes with it.

Lastly how can these subjects be so wrong while you see them in all kinds of movies, like horror movies, but suddenly in games it’s going to far! It makes no sense what so ever.

2 Likes

henry is an actual written and set in stone character you are controlling, he’s not a psychopath, and he’s not a mass or sprew killer, so those actions wouldn’t make sense in the context of the character.

this isn’t a kill sprew simulator like grand theft auto designed for teenagers hurting from bullying, this is a bit different approach with designs based on realistic behavior.

Are you a member of WH team or what?? You are just throwing around “facts” like if you were someone who actually make the game while in reality, you are just spreading your opinions and assumptions. And even misinformation like this one. You can’t know anything about “roleplaying psychopatic maniac”, freedom of development of the character or what will be “set in stone” and what not. Actually, there might be killable all NPCs (even the quest ones!) so maybe he will be able to build a tower of cropses, lol. Not action of the character should make sense, but the NPC’s actions. You can’t force a player to be reasonable and speak about sandbox rpg…

1 Like

comprehensive information is readily available regarding the character and design goals of the game on kickstarter and the dozens of video features, interviews, and presentations on youtube. hope that helps!