Combat, Blocking, and Parrying in 0.4

how can i rebind Q button?
It is the badest position for Blocking.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone through the tutorial twice without learning anything. Choosing a direction seems impossible with a mouse, impossible to do anything reactively. Itā€™s like playing at the rate of 2 FPS or something cause it takes ages to do what you want with the controls.
Also I canā€™t understand blocking with Q instead of right click, I need to use WASD to move around, I canā€™t block at the same time.

I have changed (the binding of) the buttons on my mouse. Middle is now Q (block) and return buttton is now F (kick/push).
ItĀ“s more natural doing all movement(WASD) with one hand and all fighting with the other.

2 Likes

@Blacksmith
Write me ā€œhow toā€ in steamā€¦name, rataj
donā€™t want to report something!
and for what is the Feedback button in the menu?
oh and last but not least, pls integrate a manual save function with console
(save 1 to save a game and load 1 to load a game)

For my logitech mouse (MX518) I can change the buttons with software(from logitech)

ItĀ“s only a workaround, but easy to doā€¦
I think most mouses (which cost over 15 ā‚¬/$) having something similar.

I hope also WH could improve the save and load funktion. At the moment I donĀ“t use it. It makes only trouble (bugs and freezes of the game).

@Blacksmith
ahh okay, i thought you have a console method :smile:

Today iā€™ve won against the very advanced soldier in heavy plate armor
But a shame, iā€™ve won only because he left the arena in middle of the fight
:disappointed_relieved:
But now i know how i can win against him in a weaker armor.
footwork is everything!

EDIT: NPCs will flee if you are too strong?

ItĀ“s not your shame. :smiley:

Block and push is all you need. Without armor! Fastest way to win. :wink:

Fight at 10:15

At the moment itĀ“s a bug, ā€¦ but maybe in the future.

1 Like

@Blacksmith
First i would say,
"WOW he will win without armor, if there is a coop, youā€™re my companion man!"
but thanā€¦HaHaHaHaā€¦ okay yeah thatā€™s the best solution to get sword. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: A++

Has anyone managed to land more than one hit after a successful parry?

No matter what level my opponent is, if I parry his attack and hit him, I cannot attack again until the opponent has recovered from the first hit. If I then attack, the opponent has 100% success rate in parrying or dodging that attack. On the other hand, if my attack is parried, the opponent has no trouble hitting me multiple times before I can recover. I feel my parries are quite useless, since one hit does nothing, but opponent parries are quite deadly.

I was able to hit several times after successful parry.

But NPC enemies surely have some unhumane skill in parrying.

Hm, interesting. Iā€™ve been trying it for another hour with the slightly advanced opponent ;), and canā€™t land a second hit. Itā€™s always the same: I parry, during the ā€œsword timeā€ press attack, the hit lands and then I cannot do anything (controls basically do not react) for a pretty long time, it feels like a second or so, while the opponent is recovering. What is even worse, if I press attack again during this time when the controls do not react, Henry attacks right after the opponent has recovered, and this attack is 100% parried or dodged.

EDIT: I just watched the Alpha 0.4 live stream and Viktor attacks a few times after a successful parry, but always only lands one hit.

I tried playing with a sixaxis and a mouse might actually be easier IMO. Not good. With a controller Henry seems to unlock the target and lower the sword at every opportunity, not that it feels very good otherwise.

I only hope thereā€™ll be option to avoid close combat in game. Iā€™ve always prefered archery to melee :slight_smile: During training, Iā€™ve unfortunately left the area and Iā€™m not going to try it again :stuck_out_tongue:

why not? you have nothing to lose.

Plenty of times, I more often then not spam attack after a successful parry and they never recover.(using controller)

I only had that issue when I was panicky and trying to adjust stance too quickly. With controllers though many times that sensitivity is related the life of your controller analog sticks get old and touchy. Iā€™m using a fairly new Sixaxis myself.

I actually found it helpful being able to break the lock more easily with the controller especially when fighting the cumans.

If the are close enough together you can easily break and lock onto the other.

Thatā€™s what the very advanced opponent does to me: if I donā€™t parry his parry, he can just beat the hell out of me, and I canā€™t recover until he stops.

Could it be a difference between a mouse and a controller? That would be kinda annoying. In my case the controls simply do not seem to react until the opponent has recovered after the first hit.

Its possible so far I have better experience using a controller. I plan to test more with KB/M here soon.

react time for keyboard and mouse needs a little bit optimization work!
Playing everytime with it and blocking/parrying is very hard with it.
OR i am to slow for the AIā€¦
but i will never play with these bricks :confounded:

There is. We are working on it.

3 Likes

@Iconoclast @Costin @nmk @MINTEEER

Having any better luck with mouse controls since the patch?

2 Likes