New stretch goal(s)

Yeah I think this went a bit off-topic
and concerning firearms I think they havent been used back then only maybe 50 years later and not in high numbers.
So I dont mind if we will maybe see a firearm but that should not be a focus of the game. They have been experimental too at this time, not too good for actual combat

not 50 years, less than that. but still, a blacksmith son acquiring a rare early firearm? that goes into the realm of historical fantasy. and what would you do with it? use it like a shotgun? and then you’re defenselessly if you miss or it deflects off his armor, not to mention the preparation time. but why get into that. just the idea of a random nobody who just uses the gun makes no sense at all in the context of this game. leave it out.

Ah sorry, I again forgot that you are the Developer and know the only way how it could be implemented. A historical fantasy is actually beginning of the 15th century without firearms. True fact. Moreover, how is a random nobody who becomes a knight and saves a king less fantasy than a blacksmith that actually creates firearms acquiring a firearm?

Where did you read that you will become a knight and save the king? Since game is trying to be realistic, i didn’t recall from my history classes anything about blacksmith Henry saving the king.

Maybe you didn’t pay attention, and maybe it’s not supposed to be 100% realistic.

A few interesting facts from a here:

• the number of armourers in the Czech towns was much higher then in German towns
  • in the Prague old town, the armourers made up 18% of craftsmen working with metal (and 5% of the total number of craftsmen)
  • the historical records mostly mentioned armourers as creditors and almost never as debtors, which shows their good economical position
  • while there was a steep decline in the general number of armourers at the turn of 14th-15th century, the number of firearm makers were rising very quickly
  • unlike other armourers, there is no record of firearm makers’ guild (i.e. anyone could start making them without having to become a guild member first)
  • one of the reasons of very high numbers of firearms in the hussite armies was that castle armories had made large stockpiles of firearms just before the revolution (i.e. including period when the game takes place)
  • the Hussites were not the first to deploy firearms, but were first to deploy them in mass numbers

So, it was quite feasible for a craftsmen working with metal to get hands on a firearm, especially in situation of civil war when lord of local castle would try to arm as many people as possible with whatever he had in the armory.

1 Like

in 1400 the manufacture of firearms was more a matter of the bell-founder, less of forging. The weapons were mostly fire tubes and arquebuses, occasionally also extremely heavy pipe fittings for siege guns. So rather nothing for our Henry, he had a cart for transporting needed. :slight_smile:

Tournament - yes please, but, will Henry become a Knight? Then it goes unfortunately only for a squire.

2 Likes

Let there be guns! <- said in queen Anne of France’s voice

2 Likes

As an answer, please see the picture of 1400s Czech píšťala and hákovnice.
http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/uploads/default/4298/feab293a115e29a4.jpg

Heavy and cumbersome to use? Yes.
Too large to be carried casually when no fight is expected? Yes.
So heavy that it could not be effectively carried (/cart needed) when you expect a fight? No way.

Unable to reload during 1v1 fight? Yes.
The most effective weapon against heavily armed opponent (1st shot only), with a cold weapon being used to finish him, instead of reloading? ABSOLUTELY!

3 Likes

Don´t forget Powder-keg, bag stone balls,loading rod and a smoking fuze cord :slight_smile:

absolute not, actually. since you’ll miss him, and at that range he’ll be on you faster than a starving pitbull. also, it wasn’t very effective against armor, it was used mainly to target horses and cause the knights to fall off

I just add one interesting thing. Word pistol is from original czech (bohemian) word píšťala.

2 Likes

@213 i don’t think you understand physics…if the guy is in front of him and he shoots the bullet goes forward. It’s not a guaranteed miss there is a chance of missing and hitting just like bows Quote “since you’ll miss him, and at that range”. Also what range are we talking about here if i recall correctly the effective range of a hákovnice out ranges that of a archer. Also if the knight falls off his horse its a hit and the knight loses a lot of his combat ability.

i forgot to say if you shoot him at safe range, you’ll miss him. shoot him at close range, unless you do hit a vital part, you now have a large useless tube in your hand.

in any case, penetrative properties of early firearms were bad enough horse targeting was a more effective strategy. even then, it was the use of volley fire which produced the best results.

using the hand cannon like a shotgun at close range is a fantasy due to its inherently ineffective nature as an individual use weapon. they are not like guns of today, i think people have this confusion. it’s not like a glock or a “gat” you pull out and shoot then you just throw away and do something else. “sniping” from long range is equally disastrous.

1 Like

Hákovnice is generally considered to have much higher penetrative force than crossbow.

1 Like

agreement a Hákovnice had much more penetration power then even the strongest crossbows. Plus more range then the bow. Also one reason where you would rather target the horse instead of the rider is ransom. A dead knight may be worth his sword and armor but a live knight could be worth a fortune! Especially if the knight comes from a wealthy family you could get enough gold out of his family for a two or three well-bred horses plus well made armor and weapons.

hussites famous for not taking prisoners. again, no guns. thanks

I’d love to see mod support be a stretch goal. Modders can add a lot of life to a game and I would love to try my hand at creating content.

Can we please not turn this into another firearms debate please? It’s not even 40 replies and it is already in danger of being hijacked.

The game takes place 2 decades before Hussite revolutions, in time when both firearms as well as taking prisoners were common.

what in the name of god are you blabbering about?
The Hussite Wars pg 194. "Other chroniclers state that 50,000 Germans were either killed or made prisoners…The Bohemian losses were very slight, though it is impossible to believe that they amounted to only thirty men, as the contemporary chroniclers write. The only man of importance whose death they record is the Utraquist knight Bradaty."
in case you didn’t know Hussite had two factions one of them is Utraquism and i would like to emphasize the part “Made Prisoners”. So they did take prisoners if you are accounting both factions under Hussite! This happened in 1425 at the battle of Battle of Aussig.