Small features that could definitely make a huge difference

After about 260 hours (I’m not even joking) of playing this gem, there are some things which I believe are somewhat small implements that would really make things come alive and give a more realistic feel. (I’m fairly clueless on the amount of work that goes in to making a game, so please excuse my perhaps over simplyfied perceptions). So here goes…:

• Cart traffic - You see carts scattered around the map but there are none travelling the countryside. For Rattay being a fortified trade city, trade certainly seems to have halted somewhat unrealistically. My suggestion is to add, like wayfarers, carts that will ride around the roads and perhaps even events including ambushes on trader convoys, cuman supply trains etc.

• Interactions with visors/ hoods/ scarfs - I know there is already a mod available that let’s you wear the hood up, but it really shouldn’t be a mod in my opinion and visors are completely static which makes little sense when you look at first person vision. Being able to open and close visors as you please or pull your hood up as you sneak into a camp to avoid detection (true assasin style) are fairly straightfoward options to have when wearing such items.

• Ability to choose your own belts with clothing pieces - Much like the necklaces or spurs, belts signify a huge bit of status. Both the length and ornaments and quality portray the wealth of the person wearing it and knights went as far to wear gilded and decorative belts together with their utility belt to hang the sword sheath from to present their position and wealth.

• Crossbows - Propably my favorite piece of weaponry of the late middle ages apart from the knight’s polearm (ahem… plz add polearm skill). It’s propably been left out because it’s a hugely overpowered weapon in the sense that anything shot with it at close range would drop like sack of flour, but it is unmissable on most battlefields. Perhaps a counter balance would for it to require huge strength (strength 14 and up) to draw and a long draw time which would leave you exposed to enemy rushes.

• Tavern interactions - Apart from a game of dice, asking about recent troubles or renting a room there is literally nothing to do at a tavern for poor Henry. He can sure talk his way out of a hefty fine alright but as soon as he needs to order a pint from that attractive maiden he freezes solid. An option to order a drink from the table like the npcs or even challenging someone to a game of arm wrestling or dice for entertainment would make tavern a lot more fun to be at. Just to push the evelope a little maybe adding minstrels who will play music on certain evenings at lodges.

• (From the Ashes DLC) adding worker housing - There is so much space left to build in pribyslavitz and yet the workers still have to reside in tents? How about allowing an upgrade to build some better housing for them? Even just dug-ins perhaps?

edit 1:

• (from the ashes DLC) whitewashing the church and building a proper tower - To add to my FTA improvements, allowing 2 more upgrades of the church in the form of a whitewashed exterior and a stone tower like in Uzhitz would make it look as restored on the outside as it is inside.

• Not using an equipped shield - This one is a bit of a stretch considering most people equip weapons with the intent of using them but here’s a situation to add: You are ambushed and fighting while archers are shooting at you from a distance . you could technically leave the shield on your back reducing their possible hits to either legs or head (or friendly if they’re facing you that way) while fighting the other oppenent with your selected melee weapon. Double tapping “1” to draw your weapon would only draw the weapon and not the shield.

• Proper horseback riding mechanics - This is propably the biggest of my “little” suggestions but horses need some refining done to them! fighting from horseback is nearly impossible as it doesn’t select the target and thus you have no way to land your hits effectively (you’re just swinging your weapon like a muppet really). collisions with all manner of things happen constantly with no real consequences and people couldn’t care less if you run into them (apart from a little cussing). Make it so that people actually try to evade horses running at them (both in and out of combat) and (this may need some looking up as to if it’s historically viable) make it a criminal offense to gallop through cities.

edit 2:

• Henry the combat medic - So we’ve all had encounter with bandits running into guards of a nearby city and after the fight, there really isn’t much left but to loot the fallen and move on. Even when the guards may have been seriously wounded. You can sometimes see them standing there aching and there’s little you can do to help. For heavily damaged friendlies you could offer bandages/ a potion to help them get back on their feet in exchange for a rep increase with their faction. This could also be applied to other random encounters with wounded wayfarers.

edit 3:

• Carrying game and proper skinning/ gutting mechanics - I love hunting in games, I’ve played the hunter extensively with purchased licenses for a bit and I’m planning to buy the hunter: call of the wild as soon as funds allow it. The concept of hunting in medieval style is defs a nice one. But I do have some objections with the mechanics surrounding it. instead of treating animals like regular lootable corpses, making a mechanics with a gutting and skinning animation would be a great addition. Also the possibility to carry killed game with the corpse carrying mechanic. To that, you could also make it so that Henry gets arrested for poaching if he’s seen carrying game. (unless he becomes master huntsman, giving him a way to talk out of it 100% of the time)

edit 4:

• better sword sheaths: I think either Skallagrim or Metatron already made a point about hunting swords not having a sheath, which they should. But I’d like to see individual matching sword sheaths for every sword. It’s kind of annoying when you see a shoddy piece of rusting iron in a finely decorated leather sheath.

• cutscene for paying indulgences:

That will be my somehow everexpanding “little” additions list.
Thank you for reading through. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Man… All of that you have listed is a “must have” in my opinion, and is my wishlist too.

Regarding Pribitzlavitz take a look on my posts:

1- My honest opinion on “From the Ashes” DLC
2- A proposal for a new DLC

1 Like

People would start screaming about it taking too long and WH forcing them to slow their game down, and what the heck is that all about being killed while fiddling with a crossbow.

1 Like

Don’t forget gutters and run off from the roofs during rain.

2 Likes

+1 for the ability to open your visor. This is badly needed.

3 Likes

It’d be cool, when you have a hood up, that it would restrict your peripheral vision.

You wouldn’t even need an additional key binding to raise/lower your visor/hood…just make it a long press on the “interact” button (E on a keyboard). Then it could be implemented on console, with the limited buttons of a gamepad.

Also have wayfarers with horses. In beta they had soldiers that would patrol around on horseback.
And with ambushes… Im tired of killing enemies and when everything is over people just walk away without even saying thank you.

8 Likes

+1 to every suggestion of the topic starter and +1 to the return of the mounted wayfarers from the beta.

2 Likes

You could always interrupt your reload to draw your melee as you would do with the bow atm. Simply fire a shot and when they get too close you switch over. Crossbows take a alot of strength to draw up and you have to physically bend over to do so, exposing yourself to a direct hit or knee kick to the head.

as for slowing down gameplay, perhaps different types of crossbow with a weaker span? If you want the kind of lethality you get from crossbows, I think it’s a fair compromise. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I read your posts and for the most part I agree. From the ashes as a full fledged DLC was (excuse my lack of better terms) pathetically short in terms of what it added in game-hours and even less story progression, even as a side quest branch.

It may be likely that we’ll see some more from Theresa in the “a woman’s fate” DLC somewhere later this year/ early next year. So I’d just wait and see what it would offer. I do agree however that you should at least be able to take her on more dates/ give her some more gifts or even just have another cheeky roll in the hay. :smirk:

Someone in your post pointed out that having so many facilities in priby would make the place unrealistically economically significant which I agree with.

2 Likes

Proper horseback riding mechanics - This is propably the biggest of my “little” suggestions but horses need some refining done to them! fighting from horseback is nearly impossible as it doesn’t select the target and thus you have no way to land your hits effectively (you’re just swinging your weapon like a muppet really). collisions with all manner of things happen constantly with no real consequences and people couldn’t care less if you run into them (apart from a little cussing). Make it so that people actually try to evade horses running at them (both in and out of combat) and (this may need some looking up as to if it’s historically viable) make it a criminal offense to gallop through cities.

The whole combat part was scrapped before release due to it not living up to Dan Vavra’s expectations, which is why it is so bare bones. I’d expect by the DLC, ‘‘Band of Bastards,’’ drops, we’ll have crossbows and horse combat.

3 Likes

I didn’t know about that. thx, alrdy looking forward to that. :slight_smile:

It would be nice. But what makes you think that? Did developer mentioned something?

But what makes you think that?

Band_of_Bastards

The image features what I assume to be knights or men-at-arms on horseback. I believe, given Tournament, Combat Academy, and Modding Support are all tied to release after Band of Bastards, I would safety guess that horse combat and crossbows will drop in order to add more to Tournament, such as everyone favourite (and most well-known pastime) jousting.

1 Like

seeing is believing or disappointing

Children
Cats
Bears
Option to customize/disable HUD
Mouse support in dialogs
Dialogs in full screen mode without the letterboxes/black borders
Horse riding NPCs out of quests
Swimming

4 Likes

???
Everything else… Probably yes…
But crossbow they have not mentioned. There is not a crossbow on the picture.

But crossbow they have not mentioned. There is not a crossbow on the picture.

You make a good point, however I only said I believe it will drop with Band of Bastards due to crossbows, something mentioned that will be in the game on Kickstarter, wouldn’t make much sense with any other DLC. Crossbows could drop with Tournament Mode, but definitely not, ‘‘A Woman’s Lot,’’ since that’s all about Theresa and thievery, so it’s merely a guess really.

1 Like

How bought no auto lock on.

1 Like

Mousewheel and left click works for me.

2 Likes