WASD controls are not for me

I am not on about which control method is better, I know for certain type of games especially those that do not require any precise steering gamepad is preferrable method. But not for all. And especially playing on PC where you have lots of different methods available sticking to one would be a misuse of the platform. Sitting back is not huge advantage for me till i still can sit on the chair - i am old but not that old…
m&k gives you more freedom and allows for more complex control layouts. This is great. But when playing 3d space sim i will use a joystick and when playing fighting game, sport sim or arcade - gamepad should be considered. For everything else i first will try m&k as it gives more control And more control is cool.
But not limit yourself to one. Soon we will get VR controls - gamepad might be convenient - it was designed as replacement for all out there - keyboard steering wheel, joystick - but what is good for everything most certainly is not best for anything. Little diversity improves gaming experience.

from a logical point of view,wasd is less convenient than esdf.please don’t be like fallout4
custom key binding is not a “detail”

Discusion was about arrow keys control and WASD control.

Also I dont think that ESDF is better than WASD.
While using ESDF your hand is farther from ctrl, shift, capslock, tab. And you will have more troubles with numeric keys (though access to them is always problematic).
You could of course rebind functions of ctrl, shift etc. keys, but you would lose some kind of logic or form and controls would be more difficult to memorize.

But of course, if you were to rebind your whole keyboard for ideal controlls you would find better configuration, but WASD is well functioning format.

I dont know what point you were trying to make, but Fallout 4 has terrible controls. But what can you expect from a game which primary platform are consoles.

I respectfully disagree.not only esdf is the correct typing position(the middle finger is supposed to stay on the e keyexample),you also have way more keys all around,and except for very small hands shift,ctrl,etc. are easily reachable with your pinky.in any case to each is own.i talked about fallout4 because its an example of terrible rebinding(and because its the last game i played)

esdf=straining to reach tab, `, and 1 key need to take finger off forward. not optimal at all. there’s a reason wasd remains the industry standard for so long.

1 Like

Of course what really matters is that we all need to be able to set up our controls as we like. :smile:

When will that happen???

1 Like

I would expect it for game release or for later patches of beta version.

@Zipp I ain’t gonna argue with you, its pointless and serves nothing. I call of truce :smiley: :smiley:

let’s agree to disagree

Yeah, but we left-handers use the mouse in the left hand which makes the arrow keys much more suitable for the right hand. That is the point they are making. Being able to map the keys is a must for me.

1 Like

Not to worry, it’s supposed to be ready for the final release. You can read the comment here: Will this game work well with XBox One controller on Win 10?

Also, considering the recent Street Fighter V release that did not include key mapping, and the outcry it received because of it, I don’t think there are any game devs that don’t understand the importance of key mapping.

2 Likes

I wish it was true that Devs can learn, but even Fallout 4 had terrible key remapping. :persevere:

But we are not Bethesda :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll believe that when I can map my keys. :wink:

BTW, it already scares people that you might not be able to save when you want.

Devs should know by now, that should not even be an question. Of course players should be able to save when they want.

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Poll: Saving game - how, when, where, how often?

@Wenceslaus @Frak @Aradiel

Please feel free to continue your discussion on saving system Here.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve been patient.

Where the hell are my key options?

I don’t use WASD and never will. It’s beta. Can you please put simple key options, so I can play the friggin beta, please.

1 Like

I dunno where the Hell is, but keybinding was not promised for beta, it was speculated that it could appear in beta, but nothing was promised. So I guess you will have to be bit more patient.
Tagging @DrFusselpulli maybe he knows something.
And also @MadSmejki who before answered some “key” questions.

They are lost somewhere in the future :smiley:

He still exists? :wink: