Hunting system,wildlife

I am curious where everyone is hearing of a hunting system, I have yet to hear anything myself from the devs that there will be a dedicated hunting mechanic.

The only things I have seen is the snippet of footage of a boar being shot with a bow, nothing that hints at usable snares or other traps. There are static snares in the current alpha so maybe people have been making assumptions?

This is the sheep AI tree posted by Freix here. Now imagine the size of a predators AI tree.

You can read more on this topic using the, links provided below most of the threads are old and are mostly speculation as most things I have seen on hunting have been.

Hunting mechanism
Hunting and Skinning?
What will hunting be like?
Hunting System?
Hunting Animals-Let’s Make it "Realistic"
Hunting/Combat system

I mentioned in my previous post that the developers said something about traps and snares in one of their development videos. I can’t say for sure which one as I have been following them since the kickstarter launch and they have released so many since then. They just mention them by the way. Whether it is something they plan on implementing or just an idea they had I cannot say.

Don´t forget we have also a visibility and noise level in the game.
Amimal will have an AI (posted by @McWonderBeast).

What is confirmed(by videoupdate 12/map): we will habe hunters and tanners.

The only thing what is not confimed is a blood trail and a kind of wind indicator.

I don´t know if this is possible, but if this works it would be amazing… :grinning:

4 Likes

I think that making functional snares would be easy on the devs. The snare itself could be crafted or bought from a merchant, then the player would set it up and there would be a slight percentage that something will be catched in a given time interval. That percentage could be location based (so that you won’t catch a wild animal in a village - well maybe one would - a cat, someone’s chicken or a mouse :smile: ).

I wonder why there are nearly no informations about this importat feature. The player demand is obvoisly not small at present and at beginning. The devs also have indirect imply that hunting is a important feature of the game (trailer, animals AI, detailed environment, snares, the comment on how difficult it is to hit a rabbit, crafting system, informations about stealth play,survival features,and of course the realism way of the whole game) The game is going to beta and there are no informations about hunting.
The demand on hunting is not small and it match to 100 percent to the game . So please give us some infos about hunting system or at least what way you are want to go.

My guess is that either they keep it secret to wow people later or it was cut out to meet deadline or it did not work as expected…

1 Like

Maybe can a team member say something about this important feature ? @DrFusselpulli

Sometimes no answer is an answer. Too bad that the devs threat that like a secret.

Sorry, I somehow lost about this thread…

@Basq what do you want to know in detail? There will be wildlife and hunting in the final game for sure. :slight_smile:

Living off the land would be dream come true for me in this game. I can only imagine how much fun it would bee to play some sort of realistic Robin Hood raider band in multiplayer version of this game, make some hidden forest camp with few friends, hunt animals, catch fish, gather plants, cook it all by fire with different recipies, Avoid any kind of detection and ambush normal people who use roads. Steal loot and then go to city pretending to bee just a normal traveller to sell loot. Btw there is a great crafting, hunting mechanics in game called the Long dark, i understand that you cannot overtake all the mechanics from that game because it is completeley different game engine, but the idea it self is quite good.

I guess that what you describe will not be main feature, but it can be very interesting style how to roll. You will be able to pick some place in forest that you can make your “base of operations”, you can hunt and gather plants, cook it all by recipies, also if you want to ambush someone, it will be very smart to avoid detection during that.
However KCD will be story driven game, so you will have to follow main quest line, and that will take you most certainly to villages and castles of barons, you will serve, so you cant hide for 100% of game time.

About storyline i think it is a bit early to discuss it for last stage of game where there will bee multiplayer included, cuz if it is, then you basicly need to remake all the questline.
Also, i doo get it - that many players wont bee interested in survival stuff, they will just want to fight and have fun, so another idea i have is, maybee to divide some game servers and make one extremeley realistic, where you need to eat and drink stuff not to starve to death, so you will bee happy to loot someone who has a small slice of bread. To town citizens maybee you could get some free meal from your landlord in city, so it makes stuff a bit easyer.

Single Player game only.